Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 lb. and 7 lb. Ribeye Roast. (PBC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Spinaker, I did a 9 hour cook on the PBC holding the temp between 225 and 240 with only two interventions--once to crack the lid to bump the temp after 2 hours of cooking and once again to plug the rebars to drop the temp after about 7 hours. Otherwise, it stayed pretty steady in that 15 degree window.

Within about 5 minutes after hanging the meat, I usually crack the lid to get the temp to spike in the 340-360 degree range, but with that low and slow cook I only let it spike at 300 before reseating the lid and letting it do its thing.

For that cook, the PBC ran happily in that lower range. I've not repeated it because I like to do long cooks at higher temps now, so it's not like I've got a history of 225 deg F cooks, so take this info with a grain of salt.

Let us know how your cook turns out. Should be a lot of fun.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    started a topic 10 lb. and 7 lb. Ribeye Roast. (PBC)

10 lb. and 7 lb. Ribeye Roast. (PBC)

Hey Guys/Gals,
    I just picked up a 10 lb. Prime Ribeye roast at Cost co. 18.99/lb. I also have another 7 pounder that a client sent my father and we were going to do both at the same time. I'm going to use the Cow Crust that Meat Head suggests. I guess my question is...how tough will it be to get that uniform medium rare through out the cut? I'm planning on putting the Ribeyes on the PBC until the sear, then I will sear on my Broil King Keg Komodo with Vortex. I can't fit both hunks-o-meat in the Keg so I'm going to have to go to the PBC then to the keg. Do you think its possible to get the PBC to 225F and hold it there for say 3-5 hours. My only concern is, I don't think I've ever cooked with my PBC at that temp. So am I going to be dealing with up and down temp the whole time, or will it hold at 225F? Oh, yeah and all of the ovens are going to in use. So thats why I was handed the torch to cook these bad boys. I was the only one with the cooking space!!! Works out for me!! (and hopefully for all of us) Any tid bits of information is much appreciated!!! Happy Holidays!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here