Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Hey, can you cook this big piece of meat for us, whenever?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Hey, can you cook this big piece of meat for us, whenever?"

Young lady from church. I was already cooking some pork butt and brisket for them. Her dad got some big piece of meat from his company for Christmas. They didn't know what it was. I was thinking/hoping rib roast, never did one. They know what brisket is, and surely the company wasn't passing out shoulder clods/dragon tongues.

Better than rib roast, BONELESS rib roast. Woohooo!! 17 pounds 14 ounces pre-trim, 12 pounds 4 ounces after. 15" long.

It is Select grade, but not too shabby on the marbling. I cut a couple small steaks off the end so it will fit in the Pit Barrel, and it squared it up nicely.

Got it Blondering with Kosher. Be almost 48 hours before it gets cooked. Still debating on rub. Not sure they will dig the Cow Crust. Already use the BBBR, and he makes his own to put on toast and popcorn, her dad loves the stuff. Thinking maybe that simple Tri-Tip rub, since I don't use black pepper in the BBBR.

Going to round up and tie once I get rubbed down. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	42877

haha... a 'big piece of meat' -- nice little perk from the company!

Comment

Looks pretty good, board sauce is the only thing that comes to my mind, I wouldn't use much rub personally. You need to just open up a brisket/butt shop, you should have plenty of people looking to buy.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeh, I want something not too complicated. Hence that Tri-Tip. The Pit Barrel does not need a lot of help. I don't put much rub on the briskets. You can still see plenty meat.

People ask what I am cooking for Christmas. Sat 2PM to Sun 1pm it was 4 butts and 4 briskets. Tomorrow is a turkey and a brisket (yeh, that is a hot and fast brisket cooking with the turkey). Then this roast Christmas Eve.

Think I might just drop a pre-cooked ham in the Pit Barrel for Christmasw. I'm spunt.

Comment

If they don't dig cow crust, here's what to do: get some black pepper, and a head of garlic, all mashed and minced. Mix it up with some oil to make a slurry, and slather that on the meat. For rib roast, that's all you need. Then 225 until done. Meat writes about searing to get a crust, but in 25 years of 225ing those roasts, I've never needed more crust than was already on them.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Mosca, I will give that try. They want it well done. Blah, but at least it will have plenty time to bark up. hahahaha

Just run it up to 145. It will still be tender.

Comment

Wow, what a nice hunk of meat. It looks really good for select, at least on the surface. But "well done"? Yougottabekiddinme.

Comment

You could just eat the roast and give them sliced up car tires(suitably rubbed of course). They might not be able to tell the difference.
            Last edited by Strat50; December 23, 2014, 01:59 AM.

Comment

May have to try that on the "steak" I cut off the end. For next time.....

Comment

They were afraid the black pepper/garlic wet rub might be a little much. Sooo, I went with equal parts black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. That way I could sprinkle over the oil more evenly, without any hot spots.

Putting in the hooks, "It was already probe tender!!!" Big difference b/n a rib roast and a brisket. Ya think they come from different parts of the cow? (sarcasm alert)

No Henrik pretty tying job, but I think it will work.

I have 6.25 inches b/n the rebar. Roast is 6 inches wide. I think it is too long to put the rebar in the hooks, then try to wrestle all that in the barrel. I'm going to put foil on the rebar as to not "contaminate" the roast.

If I can hook the hook that is on the left near the shaker, first, and then hook diagonal to that hook. I'll be good.

I closed my vent down as much as it can be closed. 15 or so minute preheat. I'll see how well the coals are ashed over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	43676 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	43677

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can't wait to see the finish product

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  They want it well-done, so to me the only great thing will be that bark of seasoning on the edges. Course, it is still a bunch of ribeyes. hahaha

Slooooowwww creep to a peak temp. Finally made it up to 286, 26 minutes in.

Comment

Well Done. Man you gotta talk them down to medium or medium well. At well done that meat is ruined. What final temp are you thinking?

Comment

• smarkley
                    smarkley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No Pink? Jeeesh

• Jerod Broussard
                    Editing a comment
                    No doubt.

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's just wrong. smh. If they only knew.

264-266....steady as she goes. One hole (above the intake) is foiled. 88 internal. 1 hour 43 minutes in.

Comment

Good for you for cooking it the way they want. It's boneheaded but they are trusting you with their food to make it they way they want. Hopefully it isn't too tough to eat, though they're probably used to chewing like a cow all day.

Comment

It shouldn't be too bad. Stuff was already tender when I put the hooks in. And running 260's should allow it to relax some.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here