Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Hey, can you cook this big piece of meat for us, whenever?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Parrish
    replied
    Well Done. Man you gotta talk them down to medium or medium well. At well done that meat is ruined. What final temp are you thinking?

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Slooooowwww creep to a peak temp. Finally made it up to 286, 26 minutes in.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    They want it well-done, so to me the only great thing will be that bark of seasoning on the edges. Course, it is still a bunch of ribeyes. hahaha

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Can't wait to see the finish product

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    They were afraid the black pepper/garlic wet rub might be a little much. Sooo, I went with equal parts black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. That way I could sprinkle over the oil more evenly, without any hot spots.

Putting in the hooks, "It was already probe tender!!!" Big difference b/n a rib roast and a brisket. Ya think they come from different parts of the cow? (sarcasm alert)

No Henrik pretty tying job, but I think it will work.

I have 6.25 inches b/n the rebar. Roast is 6 inches wide. I think it is too long to put the rebar in the hooks, then try to wrestle all that in the barrel. I'm going to put foil on the rebar as to not "contaminate" the roast.

If I can hook the hook that is on the left near the shaker, first, and then hook diagonal to that hook. I'll be good.

I closed my vent down as much as it can be closed. 15 or so minute preheat. I'll see how well the coals are ashed over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	43676 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	43677

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    May have to try that on the "steak" I cut off the end. For next time.....

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    You could just eat the roast and give them sliced up car tires(suitably rubbed of course). They might not be able to tell the difference.
    Last edited by Strat50; December 23, 2014, 01:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Wow, what a nice hunk of meat. It looks really good for select, at least on the surface. But "well done"? Yougottabekiddinme.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    Just run it up to 145. It will still be tender.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Mosca, I will give that try. They want it well done. Blah, but at least it will have plenty time to bark up. hahahaha

• Mosca
    replied
    If they don't dig cow crust, here's what to do: get some black pepper, and a head of garlic, all mashed and minced. Mix it up with some oil to make a slurry, and slather that on the meat. For rib roast, that's all you need. Then 225 until done. Meat writes about searing to get a crust, but in 25 years of 225ing those roasts, I've never needed more crust than was already on them.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Yeh, I want something not too complicated. Hence that Tri-Tip. The Pit Barrel does not need a lot of help. I don't put much rub on the briskets. You can still see plenty meat.

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    People ask what I am cooking for Christmas. Sat 2PM to Sun 1pm it was 4 butts and 4 briskets. Tomorrow is a turkey and a brisket (yeh, that is a hot and fast brisket cooking with the turkey). Then this roast Christmas Eve.

Think I might just drop a pre-cooked ham in the Pit Barrel for Christmasw. I'm spunt.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Looks pretty good, board sauce is the only thing that comes to my mind, I wouldn't use much rub personally. You need to just open up a brisket/butt shop, you should have plenty of people looking to buy.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    haha... a 'big piece of meat' -- nice little perk from the company!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here