Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket hanging tip for the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket hanging tip for the Pit Barrel Cooker

If you can hang your briskets so that the FAT CAP (or what's left of it after trimming), is facing the middle of the barrel, it should darken up plenty by the 6 hour or so mark. That way when you go to the grate, you can lay fat cap up and just roll.

I've only had maybe 1 or 2 briskets where the flat was barked up by the 6 hour mark. One was the middle brisket in a 5 brisket cook. The other one was just really small, because even hanging 8 hours didn't get ample bark for any brisket in that particular cook. It also dried out the ends of the flat too much.

And this is with a 250-280 pit temp. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	42236
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 21, 2014, 08:38 AM.

Good call makes sense. I'll have to remember that, when I do mine in 20 days or so

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      You can put your first hook in at an angle, this will turn the brisket when you hang it, and work with the curvature of the charcoal basket. Comes in handy when you hang 5, it frees up space in the middle.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I still can't believe you cook that many briskets at a time. How much weight is in your PBC when these Herculean Brisket Fests are going down?

Jerod, you should be a proud man today. Your cook came out fantastic and your favorite team (Cowboys) kick butt and won their division today

Comment

NOT proud. I am from Louisiana and the Aints LOST. I really dislike the Cowboys. I have no choice.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the Saints when they're not playing the Cowboys. I have been a big Cowboy fan since I was knee high to a grasshopper

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to hear, the world has too many Cowboy fans The one bright side is that when they lose, and that is fairly often, there are a lot of angry, whiny Cowboy fans! Jerry Jones played football here and won the National Championship with us and I think for the most part people like him. However he has a lot of dirty, scumbag crook relatives that are still in this area. That and he runs it like an entertainment venue, which is fine, but as long as he can sell tickets and merchandise that is all that matters.
        Tony Romo sells, so he isn't going anywhere, but Jason Garrett had to have been polishing up the old resume.

I love Drew Brees, really wish the rest of the team was any good. I had season tickets to the Chiefs and went to every home game, they lost all but one so I know what it's like to suck at home.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here