Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daddy Went Shopping Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daddy Went Shopping Again...

What gives you the BBQ bug more than any other meat? For me, its a Prime Brisket. They are a thing of beauty. However, you know that underneath that cryovac is a complex, tough, hard working muscle that must be coddled and kissed with smoke in order to make it a barked-up, clod of beefy Nirvana.
    I picked up this beaut today. A 15.11 LB Brisket from Costco. $3.89/ lb. I'm gonna give it 30 days in the fridge and throw it on the PBC. Already can't wait. Curious to hear from you guys.
    SMOKE ON!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	40276 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	40279 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2729.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	40280
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Spinaker; December 15, 2014, 01:51 PM.

That's outrageously good!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Matt, haha I was looking at your signature, Do you have a Caja China? The reason i ask is, I had a friend in college that made one and we used to have tailgate parties with that thing. Loved it. Did you make one or buy one? I think I might make one sometime in the near future.

• mtford72
      mtford72 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do, and I made it. The classic mistake of why buy for 300 when you can build an inferior one for 500 and just two days intense labor? Glad I did it, it's great for big gatherings and just does a great job. Next time, I'm buying it!

Great score! That's almost unheard of! Just let me know when you're cooking that bad boy and I'll bring the beer.

A good sale on ribs gets me jazzed up. It's not often, but when they dip to 2.49 I get excited. I know, that price two years ago was expensive.... I bought a few racks with other groceries a few months ago and they mischarged me. I didn't notice until I was home, I was charged $1.99/lb for 4 racks of trimmed St Louis ribs. They were supposed to be on sale for $2.99. This is the same grocery store that charged me $.90 for a $9.00 bucket of deli fried chicken many years ago. Again It was with a bunch of other things so I didn't notice or honesty would've prevailed. (I like shopping there, wink).

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You're more than welcome to join. It may take a lot of beer to wash that whole packer down!!!

• Ray
      Ray commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! I need to know the address of your grocer, Huskee. Those deals are amazing!

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      When I was in the restaurant business, I got a case of NY strips labeled turkey breast. The owner happened to be there and he paid the turkey price and took the strips. Bad karma

Great deal, best i've done are porterhouses sold as T-bones, the filets are wider than the strips.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      New butcher apprentice working in the back? That's a nice find too. Sometimes I find "Tbones" that look like a strip with a bone, little to no filet.

I wish we had Prime in this town. I got two pretty good looking Selects and a Choice in the fridges. I need one more brisket for this weekend.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Texas is the last place I would think you would have trouble finding Prime brisket.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same Spinaker. Aren't there more cattle than people in TX?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Not in this town. Maybe in Houston and the like, Prime would be readily available. In Lufkin, TX (1 hour from here) I saw some CAB for $8.99/lb. No thanks.

I've not even seen a prime brisket around here. For whatever reason, this one meat market gets some CAB briskets for $4.99/lb (but Choice) - I just seldom know what to do with 13-14 lbs. But I'm doing one for a party this Friday. Otherwise, Costco is "down" to $6.49/lb for cryovac'd flats (when they have them) and $8.99/lb for those ugly trimmed ones

I'm excited for a sale that starts on Wednesday at Shop-Rite with some Choice rib roasts for $5.99/lb (even though the ad is totally misleading: Choice grade prime rib roasts).

I'd be really excited if I could find a decent source of tri-tips other than $8.99/lb at Trader Joe's.

Comment

• Deuce
      Deuce commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I had any source for a tri tip. No one here sells them, I need to find a good butcher who'll get me one. It's on my bucket list for the PBC with a vortex sear on the kettle.

Columbia, Mo. Sams club had a price of $2.09/# for case price of IBP STL ribs. Case contain 9 slabs Cryovac packed. 44# case was$92 and change. Could not pass up.
    Stockdoc

Comment

Holy cow what a score!

Last brisket I "scored" was an American wagyu for around $11/lb. But it was "bleeping" fantastic. Well worth the small fortune I paid for it.

Fortunately, I have a kick ass butcher here in town that can get me anything. He is great!

Comment

For 11 bucks a pound he should paint your house. hehehehe

J/K I know that a great price for what you got

Comment

The intramuscular fat in the flat is out of this world.....HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I can describe my feelings in one word: schwing!

Comment

Wow - I might could find one of those at 1/3 the weight around here, but it would be just as expensive, maybe more (and probably CAB only - all we seem to see in these parts).

Last one I picked up was 3.2 lbs @ $7.99 / lb.

Does your butcher do mail order? LOL

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here