Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket, Beef Ribs and Baby Backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket, Beef Ribs and Baby Backs

Ok, I'm going to do 3 things today on the Pit. The Brisket is just a small point cut. What is the temp I am looking to hit? Should I just leave it on the Pit until it hits 203? Last time I think I pulled it at 160, wrapped and put on the grate until 203. Since I am doing ribs today as well this won't be an option. Thoughts?

Hi SRA,

I would say take it off around 190 to 195 instead. With a small point my biggest worry is it drying out and keep in mind the temperature of the meat will still rise some after you take it off the smoker. I'm not of fan of wrapping brisket because I love the bark on it not getting soft but with smaller cuts you may have to look into it.

My two cents LOL!

Cam

Comment

Cam,

Thanks for the tip. Just hung everything. I full rack of baby backs, the full rack of beef ribs and one each small brisket! I almost chickened out and didn't do the brisket but YOLO. :-)

Comment

How are you liking your PBC? I'm thinking about asking the girlfriend for it for my birthday in April LOL! How do you like to do your beef ribs? I struggle with tenderness so I always like to hear what others like to do with it. Make sure to upload some pictures of the finished product.

Cam

Comment

Cam, I love the PBC. It has turned me into a BBQ fiend! NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, that I've cooked on the PBC has come out anything but excellent. Even my picky son loves when I cook on it. Since I have gotten the PBC the only thing I have not cooked on it, that I usually cook, has been burgers and ribeyes. Everything else has gone on the PBC. I've been cooking so much else that the ribeyes haven't come up.

As far as beef ribs go....This is the first time I've done a rack of beef ribs. I usually do pork baby back ribs. I did do a rack of beef short ribs a few weeks ago. I just rubbed them with Montreal Seasoning and hung them. They turned out pretty good but they were a bit fatty for the family. So I trimmed the leftovers after they cooled and turned into a steak and gravy meal. The family loved that.

The thing that I love most is that it is pretty much set it and forget it. My old way of doing ribs required me to be right next to the grill for 3 hours, turning the ribs every 15 or 20 minutes, Not any more. Now I can concentrate on other things like ways to do it better, different rubs, different marinades, different wood chunks/chips and just talking to my friends and family.

Heck, I even did a turkey on the PBC for Thanksgiving! For Christmas I may do a prime rib.

So, yes, I really like the PBC and I recommend it absolutely. Is there a learning curve? Of course, but it's a very shallow learning curve. Pretty hard to mess things up on a PBC. Do a YouTube search for Pit Barrel Cooker, watch the reviews. Go to the website if you haven't already and watch all the videos.

You will be assimilated!

Comment

The Point has plenty fat. I'll take them up to 205 or so. Then cube it, and cook it some more in a pan with some juice until they get good and tender, then comes the sauce and caramlization.

I've had some go all the way unwrapped in the PBC, some packers get separated if they are too long. I only wrap if they have plenty bark and are still 15+ degrees away from 203-205.

Comment

I have 2 grates, one normal one and one with half the metal cut out, can keep a pork butt on the grate and hang 4 racks of ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                The Point has plenty fat. I'll take them up to 205 or so. Then cube it, and cook it some more in a pan with some juice until they get good and tender, then comes the sauce and caramlization.

I've had some go all the way unwrapped in the PBC, some packers get separated if they are too long. I only wrap if they have plenty bark and are still 15+ degrees away from 203-205.

Jerod,

It's been on there 5 hours now and siting at 189 internal with a pit temp of 315.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yeh, BARK HEAVEN!!!!!

i wrapped mine last time at about 190 F. it shot to 202 F pretty quick after that. i was trying to go all the way with no wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                  I have 2 grates, one normal one and one with half the metal cut out, can keep a pork butt on the grate and hang 4 racks of ribs.

Yeah, I wrote to Noah & Amber suggesting that they come out with something like that. Where did you get the 2nd grate?

Comment

SRA, go to this topic to read about the Great Grate, a design thought up by Steve Navarre and first implemented by CRO, two Pit members. You buy a grate and modify it yourself. There's not one on the market that I know of.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                      SRA, go to this topic to read about the Great Grate, a design thought up by Steve Navarre and first implemented by CRO, two Pit members. You buy a grate and modify it yourself. There's not one on the market that I know of.

Kathryn

Where do you get the grate?

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I bought it at Ace Hardware. It's the standard Weber grate for the 18 inch grill, I think, since the diameter of the grate is 17.5 inches. Some guys have used the flat charcoal grate, but I liked the one with handles, so that's what I went with.

You're going to love using your Great Grate, SRA, once you get those bars nipped off. It's doggone handy.

Kathryn

Has anyone tried using this? Weber 7433 Hinged Cooking Grate

Comment

That's exactly the one I used, SRA.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                          That's exactly the one I used, SRA.

Kathryn
                          Kathryn, Perfect! Thanks. If it wasn't 2:00 AM I would be running to the store right now! Maybe 1st thing when I get up!
                          Last edited by SRA; December 22, 2014, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here