Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tender ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tender ribs

Hi everyone. Hopefully everyone is getting ready for Christmas. Can't believe it's almost here. I have a rib question for you guys. I know that the ribs should be pulled off the meat for a proper cook but that is hard for my mom to do. If I cook the ribs longer will they be more fall off the bone? I cook baby backs. Thanks

Hey Clark. Yes, ribs being so fatty and cartilaginous means cooking longer softens more and makes them more tender and fall apart. A good way of telling when they're 'perfectly' done is here on Meathead's How To Tell When Ribs Are Ready page. Notice the bottom pic of the bend test. That's what to shoot for, oven or smoker.

Comment

Clark I have lots of folks that want fall off the bone ribs and have to serve them beyond the perfect pull. One way I achieve that is to cook them to the right done according to the page Arron mention then wrapping them and give them a nice long nap in the cooler with the rest on the hot side.

Comment

• Clarkgriswald
        Clarkgriswald commented
        Editing a comment
        How long do you let them nap for Jon?
        Last edited by Clarkgriswald; December 13, 2014, 01:59 PM.

Well mom and dad are coming overt yo try some ribs today. I am going to cook them a little longer so hopefully they like them better. I Am going to be making some for appetizers on Christmas Eve.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Clark this outta be your time of year. Better get out your Sled and your Non-Choloric, silicon based kitchen lubricant ready!!!

• Clarkgriswald
        Clarkgriswald commented
        Editing a comment
        Just watched myself last night!

Ribs were really good and tender last night. Total cook with rest time was about 4 hrs.

Comment

Pics or it never happened

Comment

• Clarkgriswald
          Clarkgriswald commented
          Editing a comment
          I am so anxious to eat them I forgot to take a picture. Take my word for it they were glorious.

I almost seems like the rib bones needs to get hot enough for the meat to cook off of it - if that makes any sense.

You can also do the "tear test" a la Noah's PBC how-to video on ribs to see when they are getting close to done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here