Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-Tip On the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-Tip On the PBC

I'm gonna throw a Tri-tip in the PBC tonight. I was just seeing if there are any pointer that people had while doing a trip-tip for the first time.
    Thanks Guys

I don't own a PBC, but if you haven't already, immediately do a generous dry brine on it. Give it a few hours to penetrate. Delicious meal in your future. Pics!

I know most folks don't use wood on PBCs, and many have said when they do they don't notice much difference. What I do know from experience is oak is delicious on beef. Pecan too.

Comment

Awesome thanks Huskee!! I always add wood to my PBC and I have some Pecan on hand. Thanks for the advice brother!! ill send over a few pic as well. Also, I am going to change my method and do it on my Broil king Keg. Then I can be a bit closer to MH's suggestion in the "Santa Maria" recipe with my new vortexl!!

Comment

Yeah I was going to suggest a way to do a nice hi-temp sear once you're near temp, but I didn't want to seem pushy....you just can't beat that crispy sear on juicy beef. Take that bad boy to 115-120 and then sear it up to 130-135 max, and you'll be in beef heaven! I like to use Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub (BBBR) on beef roasts and it's awesome and peppery. I also put a dash of finishing salt on it to mix with the rub after it's on but that's not mandatory it's mostly just me.

My wife & I have been craving nice reverse seared steakhouse burgers so I think I'm doing beef myself tonight.

Comment

Agree with the sear, the first I did was when I was still new to the PBC, the cook was fine but it is just too plain without a sear.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, I remember that from TV. That's something the other Jon would post!

As far as seasoning goes .... and I will not so humbly admit that Tri-Tip done Santa Maria style is one of my best cooks .... I prefer to just do a dry marinade and then, just before it goes on a fairly generous rub of fresh, cracked pepper and garlic powder. Tri-Tip is a fantastically flavorful cut of meat, cooked right.

Comment

Tri-tip and pepper together are so, so good. When we do them, I usually use just kosher salt and pepper. Broil as usual. Eat. Damn, now I'm hungry...

Comment

I just got the Tri tip brined. I used Oak Ridge Black Ops for the brine. This is one of the best rubs I have ever tasted. It is just amazing. I am going to throw the meat on at about 7 or so (we eat late). I am pretty pumped to see how the Vortex does with the reverse sear. I'll post a few picks when Im all done and very full. Thanks!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2696.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	38985

Comment

• Strat50
                Strat50 commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks luscious!

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                Very NICE! I am definitely having tri-tip withdrawal... look forward to details!

Looks freaking great man! The las time I went to pick up a tri-tip at Publix here in SC they only had one. That one tri-tip only weighed 1.86 lbs and cost an astounding $9.99 per pound! I decided to leave it and went with a 6lb bone in pork butt at $2.59 a pound and a six pack. Knowing that brisket is not one of my strong points cooking, I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. The sad part is there is nowhere here for us to out and be served brisket done right! Best we have for 150 miles is a Jim N Nicks chain restaurant. I guess their brisket ok, but their pork sure sucks 😄. We may have pigs out the wazoo, but we are in a galaxy far, far away from beef country. Enjoy a few slices for me!

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                Well Spinaker... you have walleye, we don't, LOL -- that is the trade off heh heh

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Same here Spinaker. Ask for a tri-tip at the meat case, or if they can get it, they pause and look at you trying to decipher what you just said. "A what?" is usually the response I get. One butcher knew what it was and promptly said "no, we don't get those, but I can get you a bottom sirloin." so at least not EVERYONE in the meat biz here is unaware of it.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Touche. @smarkley And you can't beat some freshly caught, fried Walleye.

I also prefer to slice them very thin, thin, thin, across the grain (obviously).

Comment

I just finished clean up after the Tri-Tip. That thing turned out great. The thinner end of the Tri-tip was a little more done than would have liked. That being said, I was very happy with the results. That Oak ridge rub really came through, although think I should have added a bit of salt.
                I threw the Tri-Tip on once I had the Keg stabilized at about 250 or so. Let it do its thing until the internal temp hit 115 F. I took it inside, put it in the oven @ 200 while I got the Vortex ready. I placed the Vortex over the coal bed in the Keg then, I dumped raging hot coals on top of that. I went back inside and grabbed the Tri-Tip, threw it on and away we went.
                The crust that came out as a result of the Vortex was awesome. I got that thing rippin' threw the meat on, seared both sides for about 4 mins a side and then took it off the Keg. I took a surface reading, my infrared was reading "HI"(over 1,000 F). I think this may have been to high but didn't see any negative effects in my results.
                Overall, the taste was a very rich beef flavor, tender but all sirloin, man was it good. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1546.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	39092 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1541.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	39093 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	39094 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1545.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	39095 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1542.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	39096
                Thank again for the words of wisdom!!

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Side Note: I put my BBQ Guru in the bottom damper, and left the probe out of the cooking chamber to let the fan blow on the fire constantly while the Vortex was rockin'.

Excellent!

Comment

Tri tip is my all time fav steak for flavor. You did a great job on it, Spinaker. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

Can I have those last few slices on the end you show in the last pic? lol

Looks great!

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry HC, all gone. Thanks for all of the comments, much appreciated.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here