Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost a rack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost a rack!

Hi everyone, so last weekend I did ribs for the first time on my PBC. I was bummed out as I was waiting until the 3 hour mark to check on them (Baby backs) and one of the racks fell off the hook. I knew I could smell something me burning, but assumed it was the drippings hitting the coals. So what do you have to do to avoid this? I followed the directions on the PBC site. Thanks, Jim

If I get nervous I put 2 hooks in sometimes.

Comment

Thanks Smarkley, I didn't consider that. So do you put two in two bones down or one two bones and the other three bones? Also, I think I will always be nervous with ribs on this thing after this.

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        yes 2 bones, then on the second hook go down a couple more bones then make sure to get the top of that hook onto the first hoook... kind of hard to explain it.

• 3DJ
        3DJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Smarkley, never thought of that and you described it perfectly. Thank you!

JIM! I'm sorry to hear this. You have officially been assimilated.

Comment

That's why I don't let my meat hang

Comment

Sorry to hear that Jim! Big time bummer. I know quite little about actually using a PBC, besides what I've read here...but can you stack a couple racks on the grate, just to be safe? I'm sure it's a timing issue, as so many others do ribs w/o many reports of falling. Like DWCowles says, you can't beat a grate!

Comment

I always go down at least three or four bones when I do ribs on my PBC. I'm smoking a 10 lb Butt right now and I was a bit nervous about hanging that hog on there with the hooks as well. I hung a 12lb Packer last week end with no problems. However, as you know, ribs take a bit more care when hanging. I agree with Jon, your now officially a member.

Comment

Jim, hang from the heaviest / thickest end (true with any cut in my experience) and go a couple of ribs down. Put the hook in the middle of the rib (intercostal) muscle. If you hang from the thinner end, it's far more likely to tear. Better luck next time! Matt

Comment

• 3DJ
                3DJ commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, good info. That is what I did though. I really like the safety hook that Smarkley pointed out above. Good stuff.

Jim,
              I had this same thing happen on my very first cook. It has not happened since. Make sure you hang from the thick end as Matt indicated above. Always go down a couple of bones. Watch the cook time too. Sometimes the racks get done faster than what you would think, especially baby backs. I have never double hooked even after the first time and have not lost anything.

Comment

Happened to me once too, but not since. I do a couple things; first I try to get the hook as far down as possible, turn the hook away from the meat and see what the lowest point is that you can still get it hung, then turn it around and try to stick it in there. Second, if you haven't watched the brisket video, do so, it has a pretty cool way of doing 2 hooks that would never have occurred to me. Any time I hang some heavy ribs, or beef ribs (they seem to not have a lot between the bones quite often) I use that method. If you hang it that way and it still falls you have some sort of gravity hole in your PBC.

Comment

Thanks guys, great info here as usual. John, I hop I don't have some weird black hole issue going on LOL!

Comment

Never came close to losing a rack of ribs.....or anything almost cooked. Barely hung a brisket on the rebar in the dark once. Heard an unfamiliar "ding." The end of the hook was giving all it had on top the rebar. It was corrected immediately.

Spare can go 3+, I have never seen back ribs go more than 2 1/2 where I cook.

Thing about the PBC peoples, they are higher up in elevation, with elevated cooking times.

Comment

Suggestions above are good. Also, you can cut the racks in half to reduce the weight on each hook.

I've had ore than one rack fall into the coals on my PBC. I've learned to watch temps and check at the 2 hour mark.

Comment

Thanks David. I was tracking the temps. What do you expect to see when you do ribs on your PBC - temp wise. I cracked my lid so it would hover around the 300 or so range as it was cold out. Good idea with cutting them down too. Thanks Jim

Comment

3DJ, Made my maiden flight last weekend with 2 STL ribs. Like you I waited 3 hrs to check, and lo and behold took smallest out and when I replaced bottom 3/4th made a beautiful swan dive into the Kingsford. luckily I had a pair of tongs and retrieved the section and my daughter and grand daughter dug in without slathering. They were delicious. Was very careful with the second set of ribs and slathered for about 20 minutes. Turned out great. Visited with Noah about the 3 hours that is on his video and he told me to check every hour. I agree with Jerod, 2-21/2 hours at my sea level of 850 would be perfect. Will not be a problem in the future.
                        Stockdoc64

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here