Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon wrapped pork loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon wrapped pork loin

I was thinking of trying one of these on the PBC, was looking for advice on hanging and the bacon. I like a good smoky flavor, but I think the bacon might get in the way. Also concerned about bacon crispiness.

I have been thinking about smoking it until about 120 with no bacon, then wrapping it in a weave and crisping the bacon in the oven. What do you guys think?

My rules to live by are 1) experiment! 2) If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
    It might work, but I think you'll have a lot more success with a reverse sear on your normal grill, e.g. weber kettle. Take it to 120, then sear lover high heat with a regular rotation onto opposite sides.
    I don't think this would play to the PBC strengths, but it needs to be tried!

Comment

I like your philosophy mtford72.

John I think that sounds great. I also think the pork having a sear on it under the crisped bacon sounds good too. Maybe sear it first, while still under temp, then it will rise up to 145 while the bacon is crisping. That would be delicious!

Comment

What I sometimes do with my chicken is hang until its almost done, pull it off the hook, put the rack in, lay the chicken on and leave the lid off the PBC. You'll be surprised how hot that thing climbs up to. Sometimes the chicken will get kissed by flames erupting off the coals. Then I get a nice crisp on the skin.
        I think you could do the same here. Just watch closely.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried that a couple times in my offset firebox, where I'm only a few inches over the coals...and I might as well set it on fire. The flames were impressive I will say that. In a PBC you have more of a space barrier. I bet that was tasty unlike mine!

• Voodoo
          Voodoo commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha, Huskee it is a lot like that, but this is pretty safe. It reminds of some of the grilling I've seen here in the southwest, especially with the Mexican fellas. Often they have a Hot fire in a stone or brick pit with a wire grate laid about 2-2.5 feet above the the embers. They rock some good food and the PBC does well here. California dudes get the same effect with those Santa Maria grills when they crank up the grate above the fire. At least it saves building another fire over in your Weber. Plus its a good time to put a few veggies on the grate.
          Cheers

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here