Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to clean hooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to clean hooks?

Anyone got any easy ways to clean their "meat hooks" to look shiny new without having to scrub them with a scotchbright sponge after each cook?
    Last edited by SRA; November 29, 2014, 08:55 PM.

I use those ball like wire brushes you use on dishes. Then hang 'em in the dishwasher.

Comment

I was at the in-laws and my father in law washed my temp probes and hooks and handed them back looking out of the box brand new. For some reason he keeps steel wool at his sink, worked awesome.

Comment

Like a Brillo pad? That's an idea.

Comment

Steel wool works for me. Cleans up real nice like.

Comment

Barkeeper's Friend

Comment

All good ideas! I was hoping someone would say something like, " I place them in the sink with some hot water and XXXXXX and in 30 minutes they are as clean as new....." (I was looking for a way that required no elbow grease...lazy me)

Comment

I toss them in the sink to soak right after I pull them from the meat. Then after we've eaten and we're cleaning up, they go in the dishwasher. They come out pretty clean, usually. Occasionally I have to get after them with an SOS pad.

Kathryn

Comment

I use green scotch brite pads

Comment

Scotch brite pad + Barkeeper's friend = clean hooks.
                    I use my dishwasher as a drying rack. I wash every dish, spoon etc by hand. Yes, I'm weird, I know. LOL

Comment

I let them soak in a small bowl of warm water and a bit of soap for about 15 mins right after I pull them off. You could let them soak as long as you want really but 10-15 mins is minimum. Then wash them. The gunk easily comes off. The key in my view is not to let the gunk harden more or elbow grease, a wire brush and swearing usually ensues. :-) I learned the hard way with my rotisserie. I can't even look at that thing now without nausea.

Comment

I have never cleaned mine. I think if you have all the fat and juices from previous cooks on the hooks, you get a better flavor in parted into the meat.

Just kidding. (Could be a new PBC myth though)

Comment

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You had me going there for a minute, John.

Kathryn

Originally posted by Ailkiw View Post
                        I let them soak in a small bowl of warm water and a bit of soap for about 15 mins right after I pull them off. You could let them soak as long as you want really but 10-15 mins is minimum. Then wash them. The gunk easily comes off. The key in my view is not to let the gunk harden more or elbow grease, a wire brush and swearing usually ensues. :-) I learned the hard way with my rotisserie. I can't even look at that thing now without nausea.
                        Good idea! I'm going to do that the next time. Thanks!

Comment

Oxy-clean...warm water some oxy-clean, let them sit and them wipe em dry

Comment

Originally posted by jdrozd View Post
                            Oxy-clean...warm water some oxy-clean, let them sit and them wipe em dry

Hmmmmm, I'm going to have to give that a shot. Now where did I put that tub of Oxi-clean?!!?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here