Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round Steak Pork Sausage Pepper Jack Cheese Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round Steak Pork Sausage Pepper Jack Cheese Roll

Dad gave us a couple round steaks from a calf he recently slaughtered. Each one is a little less than 3.5 pounds after trimming. Put 2 pounds of pork sausage and about 8 ounces of Pepper Jack cheese.

Using magnets on the PBC to block the exhaust vents. Totally covered the 2 vents above the intake. I have the roll on the opposite end of the intake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsroll4.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	33821
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 22, 2014, 09:31 PM.

For some reason I can only put one picture per post.....weird...

Name:	rsroll3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	33824

Comment

And then you must enter text...Yeh, I got enough string around that dude to make Henrik ultra proud.

Name:	rsroll2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	33826

Comment

Great light on the Pit, 400+ initial peak temp. 15 minutes in down to 275. Will adjust magnets as necessary. Click image for larger version

Name:	rsroll1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	33829

Comment

Awesome! Looking forward to finished product

Comment

Jerod, did you pound the steak before tying? Assuming you salted, did you season the pork with anything other than the cheese? Looks good so far!! Can't wait for the finished pix

Comment

Very Creative

Comment

Yeh, I pounded it really good. I put some Tony Chachere's on the round steak before I laid down the pork, and a little more Tony's on the finished product before it went to the Pit. Kinda last minute deal. Been busy last couple days.

I just transferred it to a 200 degree oven covered in foil. I was 4.5 hours into the cook just befoe 2 A.M. CST, 150-ish internal. I put enough briquettes for 4-5 hours in the Pit Barrel. A full basket will go 8-9 hours. It was running 240 when I went to bed, 1.5 hours into the cook, as the coals tapered off, it was at 181 when I just took the meat out.

Comment

Only one pic per post? It will not let you upload more or place more?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nope. It will give me a warning that all content will be lost if I continue with the second pic. And it will, I tried. The text remained. The first pic disappeared.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is weird for sure, never seen that.

Wow - agree that this is very creative.

Nothing like meat wrapped in meat with melty cheese!

Can't go wrong with the Tony Charchere's - did you use the salt free and dry brine with plain salt, or just brine with the salted Tony's?

Comment

No real brining. I wasn't aware they had salt free Tony's.....that is crazy.

Comment

• HC in SC
                      HC in SC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep: http://shop.tonychachere.com/saltfre...z-p-21721.html

I haven't seen it in Publix, Piggly wiggly or Wallyworld, but the wife is going to ask our local publix manager to order some. It does say "contains a salt substitute" - WTFudge is a substitute for salt?

The wife loves Tony's regular - so at this point when using it I dry brine with it.

I figure 1/2 of the regular seasoning blend is salt, so I use 1 teaspoon per pound to try and control the salt.

Your meat concoction looks good; well, it looks like it tastes good!

6 hours after going into the oven it was 181 internal and probe tender. Brought oven down to 170 to rest till after church. Plenty juice in the pan. I had put about 1/2 cup water in the pan.

Going into the oven picture.

Name:	rsroll5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	33931
                    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 23, 2014, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• smarkley
                      smarkley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      NICE!

Turned out pretty good. Probably would have been better with high temp cheese, again, kinda last minute deal.

Name:	rsroll6.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	34078

Comment

• cdd315
                      cdd315 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow, that looks good!! Nice cook

Close up of the roll. First pic was the chopped up edition in the gravy.

Name:	rsroll7.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	34080

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here