Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC newbie

Hi, have had it several months but have only done 2 cooks. Lit it exactly according to instructions. First was St. Louis Ribs, some spots were tender some were not. Next was a pork butt. Same thing, some spots were tender some were not and the meat had a red color in some spots. I have cooked both on the kamado with excellent results so even though it is a different cooker it is not like I have no clue. Anyone else had issues on the PBC cooking even?

No. There is one vent, so there is an obvious burn progression throughout the basket. I've cooked 2 racks of ribs, on up to 5 briskets. Better than expected results.

What is your elevation and vent setting?

Comment

Very interesting problem, do you monitor the pit temp? In the early days I had some less than spectacular results, but they were still excellent. Never heard of anyone having a problem with results.

Comment

The only problem I ever had was when I tried some 'cheapo' briquettes... yeah I am wondering too if you set the thing for elevation.

Comment

Sorry for your trouble Irrivirsible, but you're in good hands here. Jerod, John and smarkley et al will get you up & running smooth in no time. Pros they are.

In the meantime, thanks for joining up with us and welcome to The Pit.

When you have time, perhaps you could wander over to the Introduce Yourself thread when you get a minute, and give us a little bio of yourself, as much or little as you'd like to share.

Also, be sure to check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, as well as set up your signature (tip #1) with your equipment.

There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here... we like to see bragging pictures of your equipment and your cooks.

We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy!

Comment

I set the vent to 1/4 which is correct for sea level. Filled the basket and then removed 35 Kingsford Original Briquettes into a Weber chimney starter and let it go 15 minutes and then dumped some on each side and set my meat on and let it go. Was not monitoring pit temp.

Comment

I know this may sound a little like finger pointing, but did you hang those cooks? I know for me, stepping over into the world of hanging meat took a leap of faith and I've read of people having problems when they just use the rack included with the PBC. You probably did hang, but thought I'd just ask.
              Keep trying, I think you'll figure this out.

Comment

Did you hang the meat immediately after dumping the lit coals into the basket?
                If so, next time try to dump the coals in the basket, leave the lid off, do not hang the meat until at least 10 minutes.
                What's your fuel source, kingsford?

Comment

Yes, I hung the meat and it was right after dumping the briquettes which were Kingsford Blue. I spread them around so that they were evenly distributed.

Comment

Try to let the coals heat up even more after dumping the lit coals before hanging the meat. Leave the lid off during this time, about 10 minutes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here