Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Chickens Pit Barrel Help wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That chicken looks awesome! Do you guys/gals use extra wood for smoke? If so, what type and how much? Last time, I did chicken, I added about 3 ounces of apple wood to fire and that worked pretty well. What do you guys use?

Comment

I have used wood chunks and just plain Kingsford Blue w/o wood. Came out great both ways. Speaking of using wood, I've heard that because of the lower temps it might actually be better to use chips in lieu of chunks in the PBC. Someone also mentioned that it might be better to mix the chunks/chips into the Kingsford instead of just putting it on top of the coals.

Comment

Alright Folks, I'm doing my second chicken cook on my PBC today. The last ones came out a little bit dry. I'm shooting for an internal temp of 165. I hit 180 last time for an internal temp. The chicken was still very good but was a dry in places. I'm just nervous about the 2 hour cook time. I hope I don't over cook them. I picked up a 5 1/2 lb bird and I'm do that dry brine deal right now. This time I won't forget to take some before and after pics.

Comment

In my experience, at 270 to about 300 PBC temp, a 4+ lb split chicken can take 1.5 to 2 hours. I never take the temperature of the chicken over 160 degF (breast temp) if I can help it, because while it is resting 5-10 minutes (photo shoot plus getting rest of dinner items on the table) it edges up to 165 breast temp. In my PBC, the thigh temp has always been right on the money following the breast temp--that is, if the breast is at 160 the thigh is at 180.

Also, whenever I've gotten a 5+ lb bird, it has already been brined (read the nutrition label: if it's a whole lot over 70 gm sodium per serving --brined birds are 200+ mg sodium per serving--then it certainly has been brined) and that weight includes the neck and various innards included in the pack. After I've thawed, removed the various loose parts, and dry-brined (if necessary), the birds come out to 4+ lbs.

I'm eager to see your pics, Spinaker!

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; November 19, 2014, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, thanks for all the information. Thats why we come here! one more question, after you dump your lit charcoal from your chinmey into the PBC, do you put the lid on right away or do you let it breathe for a bit? If so, how long?
            -John

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I now let it go for about 10 minutes, lid off, before inserting the rebar and hanging the meat, Spinaker. That way the temp gets up there and is easier to keep on the high end, 270 to 330, depending on what I'm cooking.

Kathryn

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2616.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	33006 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	33005
          I finished my second chicken cook on my PBC. It went well. The chicken was amazing. The PBC ran a bit hot again so the chicken was done in about 1-1/4 hour. I may be using to much charcoal. I filled the basket about half full with charcoal then filled my chimney like it says in the video. I could not get the temp down to 325 until about an hour into the cook. Also, the damper cover does not fully cover the damper on the bottom. The coverr is set to high, so the bottom of the damper can't be closed. (see picture) I'm pretty sure that this is what is causing my temp problems. All that being said everything turned out well. I love cooking on this thing!!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Spinaker; November 19, 2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

That's how I set my dumper and when I want to do low and slow I cover part of that with HD foil.
            Chicken needs high temp for crispy skin

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear ya on the higher temp for crispier skin, but I was running at about 365

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing wrong with 365, especially smaller chickens, they love 400ish temps.

What was your average high temperature, Spinaker? Having chicken done in 1.25 hours at 325 or so is perfect. Ask Ernest.

Usually when my temp stays too high it's because I haven't sealed the lid back on tight enough. Did you see even a little bit of smoke coming out from under your lid during the cook? You'd be surprised how even a very small opening can make a big difference in getting oxygen to that fire.

It seems as though your cook went better than you think. Take a minute to pat yourself on the back!

Was the chicken moist and juicy? Was the skin crispy? If so, you found the Holy Grail of Chicken Cooks.

Kathryn

Comment

Spinaker, this is my experimental Hot n Fast chicken. cooked at >400 temp. Full chimney of red hot lump charcoal dumped over half a chimney of unlit coals. Took less than an hour, tasty juicy, bacon crispy skin.

Comment

I definitely have chicken envy....

Kathryn

Comment

So I guess I was doing just fine all along. I was just worried about the temps and times. Then you guys made me realize that if it tastes excellent go with it. I think the temp was getting a little high because my lid was partially open from the probe cord, that may have made a difference in having higher temps. Thanks for that pointer! Just as in life, it the small things that count!! I was a bit caught up on the 2 hr cook time they were talking about on the video. Every chicken that I made in my PBC has been under an 2 hours but has been very good so, I'm just gonna keep doing what I've been doing and continue to make great chicken, thanks for all your help. Sometimes you just need somebody to slap you and say your doing fine. Glad you guys were here to do that!!!
                  -John

Comment

Get your probe through the rebar hole, it will fit with the rebar in it as well.

Comment

What Ernest said. Having the probe wire over the edge of the barrel preventing the lid from tightly seating will give you problems with temp control fo' sho'.

Let us know how your next cook comes out. My family loves PBC chickens so much they don't want me fixing them any other way.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here