Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Chickens Pit Barrel Help wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Chickens Pit Barrel Help wanted!

Ok, time for a new adventure! I have 2 whole chickens that I would like to do on the Pit Barrel. Preferably, I'd like to do them whole. You folks have never steered me wrong so I am looking for your tips, tricks and deeply guarded secrets. :-) Thanks in advance!

I have done chickens all kinds of ways on the PBC... the best in the long run that I have found is split them, dry brine them, put some rub (try MMD for some excitement) on and hang 'em... if you have the means, inject the breasts and thighs with butter to make them extra yummy.

I used to sweat the temp, but now I just let the PBC go and do it's thing... my guess it will be the best chicken you have ever cooked.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. The reason I want to do them whole is to practice for doing a turkey w/o actually doing a turkey. Why do you think it is best to split them? A more even cook? Anyway, I am pretty dead set on trying them whole. How did you hook them when you cooked them whole? Using 4 hooks like a turkey or did you just use two hooks in some fashion?

Comment

Originally posted by SRA View Post
        Thanks for the tips. The reason I want to do them whole is to practice for doing a turkey w/o actually doing a turkey. Why do you think it is best to split them? A more even cook? Anyway, I am pretty dead set on trying them whole. How did you hook them when you cooked them whole? Using 4 hooks like a turkey or did you just use two hooks in some fashion?
        It eliminates the cooler cavity of the whole bird, and surrounds the meat on all sides with the hot smokey air, promoting an even cook. Plus it allows you an easier time coating the inside with rub/spices. If you think about it, you can put it on the platter formed back intact for appearances when carving. No one has to know it was spatchcocked! You won't regret the ease of cooking!

Prove it to yourself- since you're doing two, do one spatchcocked and one whole. This is the best way to see the differences. Maybe there won't be any..

Comment

Yeah.. what Huskee says! That is totally correct I think. For my turkey day turkeys I am planning on spatchcocking 2 smaller turkeys.

For the reasons that Huskee mentions it will cook faster, so keep your eye on it!

For half chicken just one hook per chicken... for a whole chicken, just hook it up somewhere around the neck (or where the neck was LOL) with 2 hooks.

Comment

Ok, I'm going to give it a shot and see how it turns out. I'm a chicken (ha) and will do them both the same way even though Huskee has a great idea about doing them two different ways for comparison.

Comment

I am interested to hear how they turn out. Can't wait to do a chicken.

Comment

I just finished a whole bird, halved. Came out great. I left it on for about 3 hrs and it was very good. The PBC ran a bit hot, so the meat was just a bit dry, but still excellent! Next time, I'm going to shoot for about an hour and forty-five. I'm really happy with my PBC. I did ribs last night for my first cook and they came out excellent.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pics or it didn't happen

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  3 hours???

Touche, i only took pics of me putting the meat on the PBC!! i get to wrapped up in eating to remember to take pictures of the finished product.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                  Touche, i only took pics of me putting the meat on the PBC!! i get to wrapped up in eating to remember to take pictures of the finished product.
                  I hear you. If you don't forget then you get the big eyerolls from your significant other & family members when you're taking photos and everyone else is waiting to eat.

Comment

Field Report: They two whole chickens came out great! They were on a little longer than planned due to an emergent event. 2.5 hours to a internal breast temp of 175. Someday I'll figure out how to post photos and upload the pics. Thanks for all of your help and reassurance!

Comment

I bet those chickens were still juicy, though, even at that higher temp, SRA. Congrats on a successful whole chicken cook.

Did you hang the whole chickens or lay them on the grate?

Kathryn

Comment

They came out wonderful! I hung them with the legs down, basically the same way Noah shows in his video except I used two hooks because it was a whole chicken.

Comment

Here they are before and after. First shot at uploading pictures so I hope they come out ok.Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole Chicken 1.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	32313 Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole Chicken 2.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	32314

Comment

9 times out of 10 I PBC my chickens whole with 2 hooks. Start off with about 450 degrees, lump charcoal, settles at 325-350. Done in an hour and a half like clockwork.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here