Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Chickens Pit Barrel Help wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    replied
    That chicken looks awesome! Do you guys/gals use extra wood for smoke? If so, what type and how much? Last time, I did chicken, I added about 3 ounces of apple wood to fire and that worked pretty well. What do you guys use?

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    9 times out of 10 I PBC my chickens whole with 2 hooks. Start off with about 450 degrees, lump charcoal, settles at 325-350. Done in an hour and a half like clockwork.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    3 hours???

• SRA
    replied
    Here they are before and after. First shot at uploading pictures so I hope they come out ok.Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole Chicken 1.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	32313 Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole Chicken 2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	32314

Leave a comment:

• SRA
    replied
    They came out wonderful! I hung them with the legs down, basically the same way Noah shows in his video except I used two hooks because it was a whole chicken.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I bet those chickens were still juicy, though, even at that higher temp, SRA. Congrats on a successful whole chicken cook.

Did you hang the whole chickens or lay them on the grate?

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Once you have your pictures on your computer, read this: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...e-posting-tips it will help you post them here.

• SRA
    replied
    Field Report: They two whole chickens came out great! They were on a little longer than planned due to an emergent event. 2.5 hours to a internal breast temp of 175. Someday I'll figure out how to post photos and upload the pics. Thanks for all of your help and reassurance!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
    Touche, i only took pics of me putting the meat on the PBC!! i get to wrapped up in eating to remember to take pictures of the finished product.
    I hear you. If you don't forget then you get the big eyerolls from your significant other & family members when you're taking photos and everyone else is waiting to eat.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Touche, i only took pics of me putting the meat on the PBC!! i get to wrapped up in eating to remember to take pictures of the finished product.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Pics or it didn't happen

• Spinaker
    replied
    I just finished a whole bird, halved. Came out great. I left it on for about 3 hrs and it was very good. The PBC ran a bit hot, so the meat was just a bit dry, but still excellent! Next time, I'm going to shoot for about an hour and forty-five. I'm really happy with my PBC. I did ribs last night for my first cook and they came out excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Clarkgriswald
    replied
    I am interested to hear how they turn out. Can't wait to do a chicken.

Leave a comment:

• SRA
    replied
    Ok, I'm going to give it a shot and see how it turns out. I'm a chicken (ha) and will do them both the same way even though Huskee has a great idea about doing them two different ways for comparison.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    Yeah.. what Huskee says! That is totally correct I think. For my turkey day turkeys I am planning on spatchcocking 2 smaller turkeys.

For the reasons that Huskee mentions it will cook faster, so keep your eye on it!

For half chicken just one hook per chicken... for a whole chicken, just hook it up somewhere around the neck (or where the neck was LOL) with 2 hooks.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here