Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brine on pork shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brine on pork shoulder

Hi everyone. I am going to try another shoulder hopefully tomorrow and I want to dry brine it this time. My question is after I apply the salt what do I do to the shoulder? Do I wrap it or let it sit unwrapped in the fridge? Wrap with Saran Wrap? Thanks, Josh

It's not a huge deal whichever you choose. Personally I wrap mine in saran wrap or place them in a plastic bowl with sealable lid.

Comment

Huskee, do you wrap it right away?

Comment

Yeah. Not that I'm right. You don't have to wrap it, it would only dry a little of the surface and help with barking it up. If I was in some rush or had no bowl or saran wrap I wouldn't feel bad about not wrapping it. I don't wrap chicken with skin.

Comment

I wrap right away mainly to keep pork smell out of the fridge and fridge smell out of the taste of my pork. Keep us posted on how it it's going!

Comment

Its resting comfortably in the fridge wrapped up since 8 last night. I really hope it doesn't turn out hammy today. I am going to Memphis dust it before it goes on with 3 pieces of apple wood added.

Comment

Right on! Clark! I followed the step by step instructions on smoking a pork shoulder last weekend. Like Huskee I put mine in a plastic bowl with lid (Saran wrap would work fine too) and then oiled and rubbed with Memphis Dust in same bowl before placing on smoker. I used applewood also and it turned out jam-up and jelly-tight! I did add a teaspoon of chipolte powder to the Memohis Dust recipe. Either way you won't be disappointed! The experts here were right on the money - the shoulder is very forgiving. My cooker ran anywhere from 175 to nearly 310 (due to operator error) and it still turned out wonderful even though I had to finish it up on the gasser because I ran out of lump charcoal. I was using the Publix greenwise lump coal which works great with low ash if used properly. Mine was a big learning experience but still had a happy ending. Good smoking!

Comment

I like the "jam-up and jelly-tight" HC. Can't wait to eat!

Comment

i don't bother brining the pork shoulder. But if i were to i would dry brine it and just loosely wrap it in foil and a tin and let it sit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here