Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast cooking time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast cooking time?

Probably going to try one this weekend. Curious about the approx cooking time from anyone who may have done one on the PBC. Thank you. (don't see this particular cut on the PBC Cooking Time thread..unless I missed it)

I did one , the thread is on the 2nd page in the PBC section. It was a 4 hour cook with the temp running about 285 for a 4 lb. chuck roast.

Last edited by Deuce; November 7, 2014, 01:12 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Deuce, do you remember how long it took before you wrapped that chucky at 160? And then how long it took to reach 205? And finally, did you let it rest before cutting it?

I obviously am looking for good stats to put into the PBC Times/Temps sticky in this topic.

Thanks in advance on behalf of all potential PBC beef chuck cookers,

Kathryn

• Deuce
      Deuce commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah Kathryn, it took me about 3 hours to get to 160 and wrapped. Another hour and I was at 205. I let it rest wrapped in a cooler for an hour before I pulled it. It doesn't pull as easy as a butt, but sure does make some great sandwiches.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the additional info, Deuce!

Kathryn

Thanks, man! That looks awesome!

Comment

Steve, let us know your beef chuck roast cook stats. Knowledge is PBC power!

Thanks,
      Kathryn

Comment

Hi Steve, I did a 2.75lb chuck roast last weekend. Used Stubbs' ancho chili and coffee steak rub put it on the PBC @ 314. The cooker Settled @ 290. I checked the roast at the 2 hr mark and it was 160 exactly. I wrapped it and put it back on for 1hr 45min and it was at 209. I cut it up burnt ends style and poured the jus over it. I put some on a potato roll with some SC mustard sauce. . .beyond delicious.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info. I'll put it in the PBC Time/Temp topic as well.

Kathryn

Thank you. I have been meaning to do some coffee rub on beef, love that idea!

Just checked the freezer. Trying to thin down some older meat out there before Tday. What I have is a 4lb bottom round roast, thought it was chuck roast Shouldn't be much different I'd think, right?

Kathryn, I'll do my best to keep track of the general temps and timing. No guaranty though as I will be doing this during Broncos football Sunday! lol

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Understood, Steve. We all have our priorities!

Kathryn

Here's that 4 lb beef bottom round roast from today. I dry rubbed it with Pit Boys Coffee Rub. It took nearly six hours. It was a lovely fall day here with temps near 70. PBC temps held up well, ranged from the 270s to lower 300s most of the cook. I pulled it off at 160 and wrapped it then took it to 200 internal. Flavor-wise it was just OK. Can't say I was that crazy about the coffee rub. Maybe this wasn't the optimal cut of meat to use it on. I think the roast was a little past it's prime, i.e., too long in the freezer so it was a bit dry. But it was nothing a load of mash potatoes and mondo gravy couldn't help! :-)Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040590.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	30440 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040592.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	30441 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040602.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	30442 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040608.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	30443

Comment

Looks and sounds like an excellent execution. Did you let it rest a bit? If so, I agree it was probably just a cut of meat a little past its prime that caused the dryness.

Comment

Thanks, David. It only rested maybe 15 minutes. Dinner was running too late! lol

It was still worthwhile.

I just need to try a "fresher" cut next time.

Comment

For the sake of conversation, here's a post on pulled beef I did a while ago. It turned out amazing. The cut was not chuck roast, but it very well could have been. I used BBBR on it and repeated it a few times since, it was extremely tasty. I treated it as if it were a pork butt, including the wrapped hold in the cambro once it hit ~200* IT. It was a fresh cut. I have done frozen pork butts however and they were just as juicy as fresh, but I wonder about the frozen beef....

Comment

Looks great! Yeah, I highly suspect this one spent a too much time at the bottom of my chest freezer. :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here