Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tip Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip Advice Needed

Picked up a tri tip on the way home. What internal temp am I looking to achieve before pulling? Any tips, tricks, suggestions or brilliant advice greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I pull at 110 and try to sear on my gas grill. Brings it up to like 130.

Comment

Ok, good idea. Why the sear? Can I just pull it from the PBC at 130ish?

Comment

Sure, if outside looks good to you. I like a little more color for the crust. Take it up to near the temp you like if your not searing separately. Actually I tried searing it on the grate, lid off, in the PBC after it made it to around 115 and came out nice too. Just watch to not overcook it.

Comment

It won't have enough crust at 130 on the PBC. Need to get up close and personal with them BTU's. If you like bark.

Comment

Thanks everyone. It came out great. Pulled at 130 degrees and sliced thin. I didn't notice at first but it was a pre-marinated job which I won't do again.

Comment

Good to hear.....

Comment

I smoked a tri-tip last night on my PBC too. I put Noah's PBC Meat and Game rub on it about 8 hours earlier. Smoked over Kingsford Competition coals for 40 minutes. Took it off at 115 and seared it on a screaming hot square cast iron griddle with about 1 Tbl peanut oil. The griddle was placed in the center of my Summit 670 gasser and heated for about 15 min with all burners going before pouring the peanut oil and putting the tri-tip on it. Flipped that steak every 30 seconds or so for 10 minutes to 130 degrees. Wowza was that ever a tasty tri-tip--perfectly done with a nice brown crust. I'm looking forward to fajitas with the leftovers.

Kathryn

Comment

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome!!!! It must have been devoured before you got pics

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here