Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Look on the nutrition label, Chris. If it has more than 60-80 mg sodium (per serving) listed, then fo' sho' that turkey is already brined. For example, Butterball says its turkeys contain 200 mg sodium per serving. Definitely been brined unless the turkey pen contained a salt lick.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    replied
    It seems like the turkeys I usually get are already brined with some solution, so I just oil them up and put on the rub. If you get a turkey that has not been brined, I would think a dry brine would be good...

see this from the Ultimate Smoked Turkey recipe on Amazing Ribs... http://goo.gl/IHRlR
    1. If your turkey is not labeled "basted", "self-basted", "enhanced", or "kosher" we will help the proteins hold onto liquid with a dry brine.
    2. Even if it has been injected with a saline solution at the factory, and chances are that it has, we can still amp up boring birds by injecting them with butter.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisW
    started a topic Turkey

Turkey

I have done a couple of turkeys on my PBC. They were both around 13lbs with no brine, and they were awesome. I have a 28lber that i'm going to for Thanksgiving. I'm looking for someone who has brined and not brined to see if there was a big flavor difference. Also has anyone did one around 28lbs, looking for a cooking time. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here