Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Hey Clark have you seen this from Meathead on how to tell when ribs are done?

There are several techniques to tell when your ribs are ready: bend, twist, peek-a-boo, taste, toothpick, popup, and thermometer test. Since ribs come in so many different weights and thicknesses, knowing when they are done is an inexact science but here are some guidelines and techniques that will help make it easier.

I'm a big fan of the bend method.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    I cheat. Mine seem to pull off the bone way before they are ready, and while I am pretty good with the toothpick method now, I will usually leave the bottom untrimmed and almost touching coals. When I think it is ready I pull one out and slice off that very bottom piece and test it out, it may be a little burnt from the coals but the cut side should be close to the tenderness you want.

Leave a comment:

• PBCJim
    replied
    I'm at 6600' and start checking in 2.5 hours, had a set that cooked quickly one time so now I'm more careful. I'm usually just looking for the bone ends to stick out as my indication that I'm about ready to slather on some sauce and let them go for another 20-30 minutes. Experience will breed confidence. Jump in with both feet.

Leave a comment:

• Deuce
    replied
    Your PBC should settle in around 270 - 280 range. There are some excellent stickys on the PBC channel under charcoal section that are a great help about cracking lid and maintaining temps. It depends on the type of rib to give you an estimate on times. I'm at sea level and baby backs and back loin ribs take close to 3 hours, SLC's take about 4. I personally use my temp probe to check for doneness. As soon as it slides in like going through butter between the bones they are good to go. With that method and the PBC I am cooking better ribs than I ever have, great pull from the bone on the bite.

Leave a comment:

• Clarkgriswald
    started a topic Rib time.

Rib time.

Today I get my PBC and tomorrow will be my first time using any kind of charcoal cooker. I am kind of nervous on when to know if the ribs are done or not. I am at 850' elevation and I have read that the ribs can be done anywhere from 3 hours to 5 hours. How do I really know for sure? I read about the toothpick method and the pulling on the bone, but when should I even begin to look at them. If the pit is at say 225 degrees how long should they take? Thanks, Clark

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here