Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competing with PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competing with PBC

Just completed my first BBQ cook off, armed with PBC and 22.5 Weber Kettle. I cooked the same volume of meat (6 briskets, 10 racks of beef ribs, 10 chickens) and got more sleep than anyone in the other 25 teams! The PBC just rocked.
    I did all of the cooking in the PBC, then used the weber to boost the bark at turn in / before serving to the public. I only have cooked 3 briskets prior to this, so I worked out the combination on the fly. Consequently I turned in our 3rd best brisket, (and kicked myself for the rest of the afternoon). The ribs were pretty much straight PBC. They got 3rd. Pleased that I gave it a go, very pleased with the equipment.
    The big rig owners scoffed a bit, but plenty of them went home empty handed.

That is pretty impressive to take 3rd for your first time. I would be very happy. I think its really cool that for under $300 dollars you can get completion grade BBQ. Congrats.

Comment

Yes... that is VERY cool! -- so I guess the only reason to get a Big Ass Smoker is to do catering LOL (who am I trying to kid?)

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome... thanks for the detail!

• W.A.
        W.A. commented
        Editing a comment
        Were the ribs beef since it was Kosher? Interesting

• mtford72
        mtford72 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. Beef back ribs. All the meat was kosher, so the beef salty and the birds still partially feathered!

Thanks Clark! The consistency that the PBC produced was really impressive. Plus, it was easy and fast.

Comment

Smarkley - we all have grill envy! I was behind and between big trailer rigs, so all those guys could look down on me. I started in awe of their rigs. By the end, that had changed to "boy, that looks like hard work!"

However, when they did lean around to look down on me (I was a one man team for a lot of it) - mostly they saw me sleeping! One of the teams, from a local restaurant, won the beans. The other two didn't place. It strikes me that the PBC is doing it right. It cooked the same amount as the big guys, with probably more consistency. There were some really inconsistent offerings out there - even from the winners.

Comment

Neat. You can fit 5, and I am certain I can fit 6, one day. Just 4 is the max to finish on grates in the Pit.

Comment

• mtford72
            mtford72 commented
            Editing a comment
            Clarification appreciated! I had four whole packers (>10lb trimmed) and could definitely hang another. It's the finishing part that presents the problem. Still, 4 at a go tops many smokers out there. I considered hanging another grate off the bottom of the cooking grate (using 4 hooks), then putting the smokenator hover grill on top of that. It would probably hold 6 briskets (2 per level), and allow airflow. It just wasn't necessary for me this time.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a good idea. I have always considered laying some thick expanded metal not far above the charcoal basket, just so I can hang my butts the WHOLE time. Just in case one falls. I had one at 199 when I took them off the hooks. If I can tie them tight with at least one string, they will ride.

And these are small 5 pounders.

Congratulations Matt!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here