Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have tried hanging food immediately after dumping the coals. Temp drops drastically. Do experiment with your PBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
      Why wait until Saturday? I had my first PBC chicken within 2 hours after getting it out of the box. LOL Hey I guess you got time to dry brine a chicken.
      I wish I could cook Friday but they are talking 50mph wind gust where I live so I figure I should lay low until Saturday.

Comment

What is a good probe to just monitor the smoker temp? I could use a Thermopen to get meat temp.

Comment

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a ThermoWorks Semipro BBQ kit. It comes with a high temperature flexible probe that you can weave and bend through one of the holes at the top where the rebar fits through. http://www.thermoworks.com/kits/?tw=AMAZINGRIBS. The probe part for monitoring cooker temps is WD-08467-64 and is easy to snake around the rebar or onto one of your hooks. The kit also comes with a needle probe (great for checking rib meat) and a regular probe that you can stick into a chicken breast, pork butt, etc. Thick. Three probes and one thermocouple meter. Recommended by Meathead. I usu. put two probes into my cooker and start by monitoring cooker temp and then switch it to the meat when I think it should be close to being done.

I monitored the cooker temperature at first, mainly out of curiosity, but it's not necessary if you light your fire the way Noah shows you in his videos. I used the chimney starter method and found that it was a little difficult to pour the coals onto the main coal bed. In hindsight, I should have gotten one of those propane weed torches or electric wands that blow hot air and started the coals that way.

That's what I'd recommend. You can get a weed torch or an electric Looftlighter for less than 70 bucks. Worth every penny!
          Last edited by Beefchop; October 30, 2014, 09:29 AM.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Clark, read what Meathead has to say about a thermometer for your smoker. Here's the link: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...ws-and-ratings

I followed one of his gold recommendations and got a Maverick 733. I'm really happy with it.

Kathryn

There are many fans here of the Maverick RediChek ET 732 & 733, they're about $60-70 on Amazon and are wireless, dual probes, customizable alarms, yada yada. They're great FWIW.

And your signature lists your equipment, it's different than your avatar. If you're using an iPhone or iPad you apparently cannot access it. On a PC you can, or Pit Boss or I can do it for you if you'd like. We typically have everyone list their grills/smokers/thermometers, etc so when questions are posted we can see what you're cooking on/with and that helps members see your perspective. to see how to set it up, go here and check out tip #1.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
          There are many fans here of the Maverick RediChek ET 732 & 733, they're about $60-70 on Amazon and are wireless, dual probes, customizable alarms, yada yada. They're great FWIW.

And your signature lists your equipment, it's different than your avatar. If you're using an iPhone or iPad you apparently cannot access it. On a PC you can, or Pit Boss or I can do it for you if you'd like. We typically have everyone list their grills/smokers/thermometers, etc so when questions are posted we can see what you're cooking on/with and that helps members see your perspective. to see how to set it up, go here and check out tip #1.
          Thanks Huskee. I got it in my sig now.

I do have a couple more questions for everyone. Since I am new to charcoal and the PBC, how much charcoal do I put in if I just want to cook some chicken breasts or burgers? Do I need a full basket?

How do I put the charcoal out when I am done cooking?

Thanks for your help everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkgriswald View Post

I do have a couple more questions for everyone. Since I am new to charcoal and the PBC, how much charcoal do I put in if I just want to cook some chicken breasts or burgers? Do I need a full basket?

How do I put the charcoal out when I am done cooking?
            You don't have to use a full basket. I've cooked with as few as 12 briquets. To begin, though, I recommend you use a full basket and cook something from one of Noah and Amber's videos. Pork Butt would be ideal. I say this because the PBC isn't a searing machine. It'll cook burgers, but it's not really designed to do it.

When you're done with the charcoal you can let it burn out and dump the ash, or you can snuff it out. I just let mine burn to ash, but I know some folks will move the charcoal to a small kettle cooker and close the vents. That'll save quite a bit of charcoal when you have a short cook. If you do this I recommend using the leftover charcoal in the kettle and not the PBC until you've learned how the PBC works. Once you've got a few cooks under your belt using fresh charcoal, and have a feel for the lighting process and how the PBC spikes initial temp then slowly dies down to 250F to 290F, then you can try re-using used charcoal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

You don't have to use a full basket. I've cooked with as few as 12 briquets. To begin, though, I recommend you use a full basket and cook something from one of Noah and Amber's videos. Pork Butt would be ideal. I say this because the PBC isn't a searing machine. It'll cook burgers, but it's not really designed to do it.

When you're done with the charcoal you can let it burn out and dump the ash, or you can snuff it out. I just let mine burn to ash, but I know some folks will move the charcoal to a small kettle cooker and close the vents. That'll save quite a bit of charcoal when you have a short cook. If you do this I recommend using the leftover charcoal in the kettle and not the PBC until you've learned how the PBC works. Once you've got a few cooks under your belt using fresh charcoal, and have a feel for the lighting process and how the PBC spikes initial temp then slowly dies down to 250F to 290F, then you can try re-using used charcoal.
              Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkgriswald View Post

Thanks for the help!

You bet. Glad to

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here