Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey on the PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey on the PBC?

Hi everyone, have any of you done a full turkey on the PBC? I'm looking to do it this year for thanksgiving and was hoping to find some tips, suggestions etc. Should I split the bird as I do with chicken or leave it whole? I have done one on my WSM a couple of years ago, hoping it will be easier on my PBC. Thanks for any help! Jim

I did a turkey on the PBC for 4th of July. It turned out really well and I have the method down pretty good on my old upright smoker so have a point of reference in regards to quality. It was as good or better than some of my older turkey cooks. Keep the bird whole. My 20 pounder took six hours. I'll be doing another for TDay too. I'd recommend watching the PBC turkey video for all you need to really know. :-)

PS. I make smoked turkey broth with the carcass for noodle soup. Awesome!

Comment

Turkey on the PBC is awesome... I just did one a couple weeks ago and it turned out good. I dry brined, then rubbed with Simon and Garfunkel rub and hung it whole, breast side down between the bars. It was a 15 + pound turkey and took close to 4 hours.
      Last edited by smarkley; October 25, 2014, 12:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

I made a 6 lb smoked boneless turkey breast on the PBC that was the best turkey I've ever tasted. The key to success was salted brine and butter injection.

Comment

• 3DJ
          3DJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey David, so how long did it take? Also do you have any suggestions on how to hang the bird? The only experience I have with smoking a turkey was on my WSM and the dark meat was not co pretzels done when the white was.

Thanks! This place is invaluable.

Jim

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          It took a little over two hours. As far as hanging, I'd go with the PBC video instructions. Use the video as a guide on how to cook the meat, and our "Ultimate Turkey Recipe" for how to prep (dry brine, inject with butter, Simon and Garfunkel wet rub).

• 3DJ
          3DJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks again David, I know to follow MH! Never would think of anything else. I did so on the last turkey I did and it was really good.

I don't see anywhere that the PBC has a turkey cook to follow. Can you direct me?

Thanks again,
          Jim

You guys running it at high temps like chicken (325 ish) or in the normal range?

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          I just let the PBC run it's normal course... Mid to high 200s I guess.

Check out the turkey video on this page: http://pitbarrelcooker.com/watch

Comment

I shoot for 380-420 initial peak temp 5 minutes after the lid closes, then a steady drop to the 250-290 range. For turkey I'll try and keep it at the high end of that 250-290 range. Why not 325 you ask? The initial peak temps will make sure the skin crisps so I'm good holding a little less than 325 for the rest of the cook.

Comment

There is another topic here in the PBC section of The Pit with photos of cooks and more info. Click here for Turkey on the PBC topic.

HTH,
            Kathryn

Comment

• 3DJ
              3DJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Kathryn!

Thanks Kathryn... awesome!

Comment

Finally found some turkey locally, need to try one soon. Pit barrel is packed all weekend so maybe next week.

Comment

I'm doing one PBC turkey and one conventional turkey for Thanksgiving--both around 13-14 lbs. I'll just bet that the PBC turkey will be long gone and the other one will be used for leftovers.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here