Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ash can for Pit Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted this up above too, just wnated to make sure you saw it:

SRA, here's my original post on this thread (you'll need to scroll down to see it): http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...g-temperatures

I got mine at Ace Hardware. It's a 10 gallon steel bucket (get the lid too!) made by Behren's, so if you don't have an Ace, Lowes or Home Depot that carries it near you, you can probably find it on Amazon.

Mine has worked great for me every time so far! I won't re-hash the stuff I wrote on the other post, but one other neat thing I noticed: after the coals have cooled (I usually do this the next day, or the morning of my next cook), I put on a pair of disposable nitrile gloves (I use these for food prep and PBC clean-up too...WAY less messy hands!), and sift through the coals while the basket is still in the bucket. The coals that have broken up or turned to ash tend to fall through the holes in the grate, into the bottom of the bucket. Then I take the coals that haven't burnt or are still mostly usable and put them in a separate paper bag for re-use later. The ash at the bottom of the steel bucket I just dump into a medium kitchen trash bag and then through into the large curb-side trash can we have. Done!

Works great, saves money on charcoal, and because I can transfer the still hot coals to the bucket right after my cook is done, the PBC cools down FAST and I can throw the cover on it to protect it from rain or snow.

Comment

Curtis I bought one of those cans right after your original post. It's perfect for dropping the basket into and snuffing out the coals. It ought to come standard issue with a PBC .

Comment

Excellent! Next time I'm at the hardware store I'm going to get one!!!

Comment

Finally took some pics of my pizza pan clean up! Here is a similar pizza pan: http://alturl.com/87tcp (I got mine from the local grocery store for about that price) 16" seems to be the perfect size, provided the sides are low. It gives a solid inch clearance from the barrel, and the best part of an inch from the basket edge.

I beat one edge a couple of times with the rebar, and now the lip of the pan is beneath the intake hole. I usually rotate it align (as in the pic). Cleanup is easy, just reach in and lift the thing out (I'm slightly taller than Kathryn! - that has to be tough!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141031_145924.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	28711

You can just see the vent to the left. Sunlight reflecting off the pizza pan.

Name:	20141031_150024.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	28712

Plenty of clearance around the edge - straight lift out of PBC. You can see the (probably unnecessary) rebar dents flattening the edge.

Name:	20141031_150016.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	28713

Again, no interruption to airflow. Excuse the drying shoes.

Name:	20141031_150132.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	28714

Et Voila - easy to pour into the trash.

Matt
          Attached Files

Comment

Buying that tomorrow! Thanks

Comment

Just bought the pizza pan! Thank you.

Comment

I've been letting mine cool down and vacuuming them out with a shop vac.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here