Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ash can for Pit Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtford72
    replied
    Pizza pan is the way to go. I thumped the lip a few times with a hammer to lower it a little as I had a concern about airflow. I rotate the flattened part to the vent, but I'm sure that's just superstition rather than anything scientific. Cleaning now is just lift out the basket, lift out the pan.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    HAHAHA Kathryn on CNN trying to clean a PBC!

• supergas6
    replied
    Bought a ten-gallon metal trash can at the local hardware store. Cost $10 or so. Works great. Just pick up the PBC and dump the ashes in. When the can is half-way filled, it is time to empty it into a trash bag, because it gets pretty heavy!

Leave a comment:

• PBCJim
    commented on 's reply
    Fizziks - made me laugh, can picture the neighbor lifting you out by the ankles!

• PBCJim
    commented on 's reply
    E-that's what I'm talking about! That's very similar to what I have going. So much easier than wrestling the cooker and getting the ash out of the vent.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I think you'd have to go with a flatter design like PBC Jim's or Ernest's pizza pan idea, SRA. Otherwise you'll block the necessary air flow under the coal basket.

For me, the two layers of foil work great because at the end of the day I can fold the ashes into the foil, no muss no fuss. I'm short (5'2"), so it's easier for me to fold the foil with tongs if necessary than to get a grip on a rigid pan at the bottom of the PBC. One of these days I'll do a 1.5 gainer into that thing trying to clean out the bottom!

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; October 16, 2014, 08:01 AM.

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    LOL! I have a 14 inch Lodge cast iron pizza pan (with handles) that does not fit in the PBC so I went with the 12 inch sheet. That was my logic when ordering.

• SRA
    replied
    What diameter should we be looking for? I know, I know, I should take my lazy butt outside and measure for myself but its late, dark and raining outside right now.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    I just realized that I didn't measure the diameter of the charcoal basket before placing the order. LOL! Got the 12 inch plate

• BruceB
    commented on 's reply
    yup, that will work. I seem to have acquired a pile of those (my wife buys in bulk, it seems), and I'm going to put wire lifting lines on it as Jerod did on his ash plate. The rim helps a bit to keep the ash contained while lifting it out.

• Ernest
    replied
    I just bought this pizza pan, I'll use it under the basket. Save me some foil money http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Steve Navarre
    replied
    Got mine from Home Depot. Here at a mile high the vent is already mostly open so I just sweep the ashes out with a fireplace tool.

Leave a comment:

• PBCJim
    commented on 's reply
    E - don't have one with me, but picture an upside-down frisbee with straight edges. Hope that makes sense.

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    Can't cook with charcoal basket in that can now can you?

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    OK... now I know what you were asking for! This IS a good idea I might try it someday too.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here