Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Brisket on PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Brisket on PBC

Just scored a 14lb prime brisket for $3.99/lb. Packer is listed as Swift? I will update you on my cook w/pics when I attempt this next weekend. Does anyone know if I should wrap it at a lower internal temp than choice brisket? Or wrap it at all?

I would just wrap at bark. I wouldn't hang much longer than 5-6 hours.

Are you worried about establishing a good bark before wrapping?

If so, the flat will need some direct heat. Might need to go to the grate to get the bark you want at the 5 hour mark.

If and when you do wrap, I wouldn't definitely start checking for probe tenderness at the 190 internal mark.

That was my bad on a Prime flat, too dry and flaky, aka overdone. But, oh so TENDER!!

Swift is a Beef Company, along with IBP (really Tyson) and Excel, amongst others.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; October 12, 2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Swift is owned by a Brazillian company called JBS. Their US arm is in Greeley CO, they are the largest beef and pork processors in the world. They tried to buy my old company (Sara Lee which also does Ball Park, Hillshire Farms, and Jimmy Dean) but it didn't go through, however they were just bought by Tyson.

Long story short, their meat is pretty good.

Comment

Prime brisket...for 3.99/lb? God I'm jealous. A Choice flat was going for over 8.99/lb this weekend.

Comment

Update. Trimming and dry brine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	26625Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	26626

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	26627

Before trim

Name:	photo 1 (2).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	26628

after trim. Dry brine overnight. I'll start the cook tomorrow morning. Should I try to cut this in half for the PBC or leave whole?

Name:	photo 3 (2).JPG
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	26629

Trimmed parts for beef love

Comment

Gotta love the red ink on a brisket package.

Comment

I lived in Greeley for nine years and my brother worked for the feedlot as a pen rider for a couple of years, Swift is a very large operation in town. They were owned by the Monforts back then and now they own the CO Rockies baseball team.

I've never cooked with their beef so I look forward to hearing how it goes. Also a very good price.

Comment

Looking forward to your report out on the brisket experience. I'm doing a smaller one on Sunday.

Comment

The swift SLC ribs and Boston butt I get at bjs are quite good... But I'd lose it if I found a prime brisket for that price! I scored a couple of flats a while back for 1.99, but now I'm seeing 7-8 bucks a pound.

Comment

That is an incredible price! How'd it turn out?

Comment

Dry brined overnight. Decided to separate point from flat. It looked too long. Rubbed with olive oil and BBBR. Into the fridge for about 1 hour. Lit 40 briquettes of kingsford blue in chimney with 1 chunk of cherry wood, waited 15 min. Added to full basket and waited another 5 min. Hung both pieces at around 9:30am with lid cracked until it reached about 350. Kept running hot around 300 for the whole run. Played with the lid and foil in the rebar holes. The point was cooking much faster than the flat. Put on the grate at around 4.5 hour mark to get more color. Point was already at 170 and flat at 150. Wrapped point after another hour in a foil pan with beef broth. Wrapped flat at around 160 the same way. Held in electric smoker at 225 until point reached 200 and then into the oven at 170. Kept checking the flat for tenderness, was still not probe tender in the middle at around 200. Removed then, about 7hour mark. Rested over 2 hours in time for dinner. Both the point and flat were very tender and moist, with drier parts on the edges. Not a great bark, though. Had a nice smoke ring. I will post pic as soon as I can get on a laptop.

Comment

Name:	photo 2 (3).JPG
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	26965

Name:	photo 3 (3).JPG
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	26967

Name:	photo 1 (3).JPG
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	26964

Name:	photo 1 (4).JPG
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	26969

Name:	photo 2 (4).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	26968

Name:	photo 3 (4).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	26966

I was pretty happy with it

Comment

That brisket looks awesome! That price was indeed phenomenal.

Comment

Thanks. They still had them on sale this week. My chest freezer broke a couple of weeks ago, otherwise I would stock up. I have looking for cheap brisket all summer, this was the only ones I saw under $4/lb. just happened to be prime grade. My first brisket in the PBC.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here