Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you reverse sear after low and slow on same PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you reverse sear after low and slow on same PBC?

I am on my second adventure with the PBC which is a tri tip. I have the basics down (thanks Noah) but see reverse sear after 105 to 130 depending on the author.The question is can I reverse sear on the same unit after reaching 110-120? I dont know how to reverse sear and searched it but people just say reverse sear and not how to.I plan on firing up and cooking some sausages and then putting the tri tip on using one hook. Thanks for looking,Hank

Reverse searing is just getting the meat really close to some HIGH heat and flipping often....

Comment

okay thanks Jerod. Tell me what if I put something like bricks under the coal bsket to raise it close to where the grating sits then I could sear in my pbc Maybe a small smokey joe is my next purchase.I do have a gas grill but why not use the coals if you can right?

Comment

I remember a suggestion using the fire starter to sear,mmmm I could do that if raising the basket is too much to do.

Comment

Originally posted by kranknhank View Post
          okay thanks Jerod. Tell me what if I put something like bricks under the coal bsket to raise it close to where the grating sits then I could sear in my pbc Maybe a small smokey joe is my next purchase.I do have a gas grill but why not use the coals if you can right?
          It'd take a lot of bricks to get the coal basket close enough to the grill grate for reverse sear to work with the PBC. What you could to is cook the meat until it hits 110F to 115F, then take the meat out and leave the lid off the PBC for a few minutes. Once the PBC gets really fired up put the meat back in for a few minutes with the lid cracked an inch or so. This will give you a lot of convective heat that will help brown the outside of the meat.

You can also sear with the gas grill.

Check out Meathead's article on reverse sear - http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...erse_sear.html

All that said, if your PBC peaks at 350F or above when you first put the meat on, it will do a pretty good job of browning the meat all by itself. Check out thee PBC video on tri tip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrbeFpkQ7DI

Comment

KnH this topic seemed better suited to the PBC sub channel so I moved it on over... just an fyi in case you were wondering how it ended up here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here