Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peking duck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peking duck?

I want to try make Peking duck in the PBC. Thoughts? Will all the duck fat create too much flame/smoke or smother the coals?

You may want a pan to collect that duck fat as it drips. I think may folks will faint if they hear it's getting burned up in the coals!

Comment

How can I place a pan in the PBC? Water in the pan as well?

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Diaper?

I'll let another PBC user expand on this since I don't own one... but don't they have 2 grates? You should have 2 options- 1) place the duck on the top grate instead of hanging it, perhaps spatchcocked, and place the pan on the bottom grate. Or 2) place the drip pan in the charcoal at the bottom, with the charcoal steeped to the sides of the drip pan.

Again, I don't own one so my options may or may not be entirely viable, I'm just thinking of potential options until someone who's been there done that can hop in.

Comment

Someone did a Duck on the PBC and posted it recently, cant find the feed but the pic looked amazing. Duck is one of the greatest meats on earth.

Comment

Is this it? https://mobile.twitter.com/PitBarrel...0125952/photos

Comment

Originally posted by jlo View Post
            How can I place a pan in the PBC? Water in the pan as well?

Generally we don't put a water pan in the PBC as it already creates a very humid environment.

Comment

Ordered 2 ducks. Gonna try it out for Thanksgiving

Comment

I did a duck in the PBC. Came out fantastic No issues with drippings. This was an experiment, i think you'd have to hang a foil pan under the duck if you really want to collect the fat. I got plenty of duck fat in my freezer so I wasn't too disappointed with losing the fat

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty!

Kathryn

• jlo
                  jlo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks awesome!

My wife loves duck, me not so much! Does anyone think it would be reasonable to do a duck and a chicken both on the PBC together? I heard on another thread that chicken and pork go well togeather on the PBC.

Comment

That shouldn't be a problem Mstrub, I wouldn't do birds and other meats though. Only because I cook birds at higher temp, 325 - 350 finish at around 400, than other meats.

I have never cooked a chicken longer than 1 hour 15 on my PBC.

Comment

I did two chicken halves along with a tri-tip last Sunday. Both meats were done about the same time with the Tri-tip coming off a little earlier than the chicken. I took the beef off at 130 F and let the birds go to 160 F. I think the time difference was about 15 minutes at eye most. My internal temps were around 260 - 280 before I pulled the lid off. I left the top off to dry and firm up the skin of the chicken before pulling them off. Both the beef and the chicken were excellent tasting. The total cook time was close to 1.75 hours.

Comment

Ernest. What kind of duck was it? Also how long did it take to cook? Im doin Peking duck next weekend

Comment

• Ernest
                        Ernest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just a regular duck I got from an Asian store.
                        About 1 hour and 15 minutes to 120 degrees, average PBC temp was 315.
                        Then I can blasted it with high heat, I'm talking 400 degrees.
                        Pulled it off at 145. About an hour and 40 minutes total.
                        It was slightly over cooked for me. I like duck breast at 130 degrees. But it wasn't dry at all, fantastic

Last edited by Ernest; October 5, 2014, 01:27 PM.

Did you do any prep work? I'm planning on separating the skin, scalding with hot water and laquer soy sauce/honey a couple days in advance so that it dries in the fridge.

Comment

Nope, just a basic wet brine with some orange juice. No scalding or skinning involved.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here