Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Pork Butt w/o The Crutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marauderer
    commented on 's reply
    I agree about the slaw. Being from Georgia we really like our slaw on the sandwich.

• bep35
    commented on 's reply
    Opps. I should clarify that. After stirring in bbq sauce to moisten the meat and throwing slaw on top, no one will care because slaw on top of a pulled pork sandwich is awesome! You are correct. Dry meat will remain dry unless something is done to dr. it up.

• Marauderer
    replied
    <<Throw some slaw on top and no one will care!>>

That is especially true of those with burned out taste buds. Unfortunately my family and friends would notice. Maybe your product is that good that they just appreciate it anyway you serve it.

Leave a comment:

• bep35
    replied
    I recently did two butts. One I wrapped and the other stayed on hangers in the PBC. The hung butt did not fall off. In the end the wrapped butt had more moisture. The hung butt had better bark and in my opinion better flavor. I mix in bbq sauce with the pulled pork so if it is drier we don't notice the difference by the time it makes it to a sandwich. Throw some slaw on top and no one will care!

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Finished my 3 and pulled them last night. The bark was a bit thicker and very crunchy, but also quite dry in places. Cooking was very uneven once the meat hit the grates, one in particular was 200 near the bottom, 195 on the right and 193 on the left.
    I think its a toss up really, thick crusty bark in exchange for internal dryness in a few areas. I dry brined but that's it, injecting might fix the dryness problem.
    In the end I really don't have a preference, if I want to get up 4+ hours early or let it run overnight I won't wrap.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    I have never used the crutch and have learned to factor in the extra time for the stall. Like anything that is really good you have to have patience.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Dinstell
    replied
    Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

I've noticed the unwrapped butts don't have as much water moisture in them, but they have more moisture from rendered fat, so it's a good trade-off.
    Yeah, that's a trade I can live with any day.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin Dinstell View Post
    Yeah, I like to avoid that as well. As long as I'm not in the "dry zone," I prefer not to braise. Just curious about the PBC specifically, since it cooks faster and at a higher temp than I'm used to for pork butts (225-250). I went on the grate, fat cap down, 3 oz. hickory chunk for good measure. Fresh bottle of "Kentucky Gold" coming together in the fridge and nothing to do but wait...

I've noticed the unwrapped butts don't have as much water moisture in them, but they have more moisture from rendered fat, so it's a good trade-off. I used to be a huge fan of wrapping them, but now I prefer letting them go all the way to done completely nekkid.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Dinstell
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    They aren't as moist as when I wrap but to be honest I have to remove a bit of juice when I wrap, it's just too wet.
    Yeah, I like to avoid that as well. As long as I'm not in the "dry zone," I prefer not to braise. Just curious about the PBC specifically, since it cooks faster and at a higher temp than I'm used to for pork butts (225-250). I went on the grate, fat cap down, 3 oz. hickory chunk for good measure. Fresh bottle of "Kentucky Gold" coming together in the fridge and nothing to do but wait...

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Yeah so 3 hung just fine and I thought I could even have room for 4 if they weren't too large, then I just tried moving them to the grate. Unless you stand them up on their side there is no way to get 3 on the rack, fortunately I had cut one of them in half to cook so I was able to just barely get them on.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    I have, and actually have 3 on right now that I have plenty of time for so I won't wrap. When I don't wrap I do spritz with apple juice near the end. They aren't as moist as when I wrap but to be honest I have to remove a bit of juice when I wrap, it's just too wet.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Dinstell
    replied
    Good stuff. Thanks, David/Ernest - glad to be in good company.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin Dinstell View Post
    Got it. So have you cooked a butt all the way through without foiling on a PBC, David?

Yes. It turned out awesome. You won't be disappointed.

And Welcome to The Pit!

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Dinstell
    replied
    Got it. So have you cooked a butt all the way through without foiling on a PBC, David?

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    If you let it go all the way to 203F without foil it will definitely fall off the hooks. Ernest is right. Use the grate OR take it off the hooks after it hits 150F or so and put on grate.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here