Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC and brisket, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC and brisket, etc.

I may be making somthing simple too complicated, but does anyone have any opinion about whether it makes a difference (i.e., taste/result, etc.) to hang a brisket/chicken pieces on the rebar rods or cook them on the PBC's grill?

Never cooked any chicken pieces.

As for as the brisket, I hang mine for at least 5-5.5 hours, then go to the grate, if needed for more bark. Not sure about a difference in taste, however, I do know that the ability to hang the meat sure helps the efficiency of the cooker.

Comment

I tried a pork butt once on the grate, stuck to it and tore of a good chunk of the bottom, couldn't really tell taste-wise

Comment

I have done chicken leg quarters on the grate and hang. There's something about hanging, and I prefer that way.
        There's no flipping, even browning, cook quicker.
        As far as taste, there's no difference.

Comment

Tough to beat the simplicity of hanging... The one thing for me (I did a flat) is that the nature of a flat forces you to hook it with the loops in a way that require you to twist or bend the flat unless you hook one on each rebar which removes the ability to run the barrel w/o a rebar which is handy if you need to get the thing hotter. If you pierce the hooks thru at an angle in the right way, then its easier..... i.e. easierr to hang on one rod... Or if you run the hooks through the thin dimension ... Which I would not want to do. These are not serious issues mind you, just something to think about if you're doing a flat.

Comment

I have a Pit Barrel coming in next week. Really looking forward to hanging that first brisky

Comment

Originally posted by JPP View Post
              Tough to beat the simplicity of hanging... The one thing for me (I did a flat) is that the nature of a flat forces you to hook it with the loops in a way that require you to twist or bend the flat unless you hook one on each rebar which removes the ability to run the barrel w/o a rebar which is handy if you need to get the thing hotter. If you pierce the hooks thru at an angle in the right way, then its easier..... i.e. easierr to hang on one rod... Or if you run the hooks through the thin dimension ... Which I would not want to do. These are not serious issues mind you, just something to think about if you're doing a flat.
              The hook arrangement for a brisket took me a bit by surprise, right as I was hanging it over the hot coals. I didn't think that through too carefully ! I went with the one-on-each-rebar option, as I didn't have much choice at that point.

Comment

• JPP
                JPP commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup! That was the moment when I discovered the "issue" as it were. Jerod mentioned that if you run the hooks in at an angle, it can make the hangin' a bit easier.

If you want to hang 5 this way, you must work with the curvature of the barrel in order to fit that dude in the middle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	first5cook.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	20447

Comment

• JPP
                JPP commented
                Editing a comment
                You are the brisket king, no doubt about it!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here