Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK PBC folks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK PBC folks...

You've got me curious. I'm thinking of taking the plunge at some point. I'm trying to figure out of if I would prefer a 55g UDS (extra space, thinking Big Poppa's Kit) or just bite the bullet and get a PBC. I'm not terribly adept at metal work, so I'm a bit hesitant to get a 55g drum and go to town on it with a drill, but not opposed to it. Also finding food grade barrels is not all that easy, but possible.

My lack of metal cutting tools and whatnot led me to the PBC. I don't feel as if I made a mistake here. If it's capacity you're after, the pbc will hang 8 racks, and at Jerod had cooked 4 packer briskets in his. Tough to go wrong with a PBC, IMHO.

Comment

I thought about a UDS but decided to go with something already done, no real chance I could screw that up. Sometimes I want more capacity like a big cook i'm doing Wednesday, but other times the PBC is too much, just want a rack of ribs. Nothing you are going to get will suit every future need, but the PBC has a great community here, great support, and you can have ribs going 5 minutes after opening the box.

Comment

Yeah, a PBC takes all the "oh crap I drilled it wrong, let's just patch that up" errors off the table. TBH, I can't see the need to cook more than 8 racks of ribs or 4 packers...but a Big Poppa's and a 55g drum is a more cost efficient way (I'm a grad student) for me to have a UDS and more capacity.

But...I just noticed Big Poppa's do not include hanging rods, hooks, etc. so that might mean PBC for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bbantel View Post
          Yeah, a PBC takes all the "oh crap I drilled it wrong, let's just patch that up" errors off the table. TBH, I can't see the need to cook more than 8 racks of ribs or 4 packers...but a Big Poppa's and a 55g drum is a more cost efficient way (I'm a grad student) for me to have a UDS and more capacity.

But...I just noticed Big Poppa's do not include hanging rods, hooks, etc. so that might mean PBC for me.

That's a tough call. If you want out of the box easy PBC is the way to go. If you like to tinker and put things together, BPS starts to look good.

Don't forget the cost of the food grade barrel and shipping for the BPS smoker.

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Do most drum's have an exterior coating of some kind, or do you need to powder coat them to keep them from rusting?

• bbantel
            bbantel commented
            Editing a comment
            I do like tinkering and I like that BPS has actual vents on the bottom. Drilling a few holes for rebar hanging rods and getting some meat hooks wouldn't be the end of the world.

Also, it has a dial thermometer, which in AR world is a sin, but you could easily grommet it and use digital probes.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Another thing to consider is that one of the magical properties of the PBC is due to its 30 Gallon size. If you read Max's review you'll see Dr. Blonder has a couple of rationale as to why the PBC is special. I think either way you'll be happy.

John some drums will rust, some won't. The steel drums don't rust but cost a bit more.

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I just find the BGE doesn't have the capacity I'd like. For me though a PBC just doesn't seem feasible. I found out that they will ship to Canada for another $175. With exchange and shipping it will come to $500.

I found a fellow who is selling food grade barrels for $35. I called him up and picked out 2 with minimal dents. I haven't decided if I'm going to proceed on making a UDS or not. They might just turn into rain barrels I would prefer to buy a 30 gallon barrel and make a smoker similar to a PBC but I can't find a used one. New 30 gallon barrels unlined are about $90 but again the shipping is $125.

I think the PBC is the way to go .. I like the way it works. I'm not sure though if you can choke the coal to put it out like I can with the BGE and kettles.

Comment

Argh! Just when I thought I made a decision, Dr. Blonder got all scientific! BPS seems a bit more versatile than the PBC, but at a very scientific cost (Thanks Blonder). I'm also thinking, I may have to relocate for a year during internship, so BPS might be a better all around grill/smoker if I can only take one (taking xl BGE is NOT an option, but maybe another Weber Kettle and smokenator?).

I'm curious about grilling steaks on the PBS, esp when it comes to reverse searing, or do you just slap a hook in them and hang those too?

Comment

To reverse sear steaks, use the PBC with about 8 coals to go low and slow, then go to a kettle for the high heat reverse sear.

I've done 5 briskets a couple times in the PBC.

I looked at getting a drum also. Might get one if I can get a good enough deal to transfer briskets to once they get wrapped.

Comment

• bbantel
                bbantel commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm, for about a year, this would be the only cooker I would have access to, so I wouldn't have another grill for reverse sear. That being said, I'm not sure a BPS would even allow me to properly 2 zone for grilling, even with the coal basket higher.

Argh! Just when I thought I made a decision, Dr. Blonder got all scientific! BPS seems a bit more versatile than the PBC, but at a very scientific cost (Thanks Blonder). I'm also thinking, I may have to relocate for a year during internship, so BPS might be a better all around grill/smoker if I can only take one (taking xl BGE is NOT an option, but maybe another Weber Kettle and smokenator?).

I'm curious about grilling steaks on the PBS, esp when it comes to reverse searing, or do you just slap a hook in them and hang those too?

I'm about to make your life harder, but if you need something that can do everything, maybe you need a WSM 18.5". You can use it as a grill if you have a table to set the "grill" portion of the WSM onto.

Comment

• bbantel
                bbantel commented
                Editing a comment
                David, that sound you heard was my head exploding....lol

Admittedly, the same thought had been running in the back of my head too. I already have a Weber kettle, smokey joe, a gaser, and a xl BGE (and a few other "unmentionables"). Those will (realistically) stay at home while I head out for my internship in the coming year. I'm somewhat concerned that a WSM will ultimately be redundant - yet highly versatile for the time. However, with a PBC/BPS/UDS I would ultimately be adding a new element to my collection.

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I hemmed and hawed over the PBC for months. My wife finally offered to buy it as my anniversary present. I will say there are absolutely no regrets in getting the PBC. It is about as "set it and forget it" as you will find in a non-electric smoker and the food comes out with a nice smokey flavor. The PBC web site had lots of great videos on how to cook with it and their customer service is first class. And the PBC seems to be the No. 1 cooker that gets discussed on this website. You won't be disappointed! Good luck in your decision.

Comment

• JPP
                JPP commented
                Editing a comment
                It was effectively my anniversary present, too!

Get a PBC and witness your outdoor cooking life change right in front of your eyes.

Comment

bb, you want something that you can easily take with you, while at your internship, and do most of your cooking on it it including searing? And you already own a WKettle? Why not get a smokenator and take the kettle with you? You'll have portability, smokability, and searability, without any further spendability... Or am I just missing that fact that you want another toy? I don't blame you there..

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
                  bb, you want something that you can easily take with you, while at your internship, and do most of your cooking on it it including searing? And you already own a WKettle? Why not get a smokenator and take the kettle with you? You'll have portability, smokability, and searability, without any further spendability... Or am I just missing that fact that you want another toy? I don't blame you there..

I think he wants another toy for certain. PBC won't disappoint!

Comment

• bbantel
                    bbantel commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha! Guilty as charged, but if I can kill 2 birds with one stone, bonus!

As the saying goes, when in doubt, get the PBC!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
                    As the saying goes, when in doubt, get the PBC!
                    Hahaaa... good one! I like the PBC so much that if I were worried about capacity I would get a second one - they are cheap enough!

*I.E. cheaper than a case of 8.99/lb brisket

Comment

• Ernest
                      Ernest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I had a second PBC in the shopping cart. I had to wrestle my finger from clicking checkout.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here