Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Less Than a Full Load...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less Than a Full Load...

Noah highly recommends following his directions closely, at least for starters. And I have--for over a year now. Hard to break away when it makes things so good and so easy.

But often, you just feel like using a full load of charcoal is overkill. For example, tonight I am just making dinner for the family, which will be two racks of baby backs and some cedar plank salmon. I'll do the ribs first, and then the salmon, which only takes about 35-40 minutes.

So, I'll be going 4-4.5 hours max today. Historically, I've just loaded in a full load (about 8 pounds) of KB. I buy it on sale, never pay more than about $0.25/pound, so it will be just $2 of charcoal.

I know some like to "snuff it out" and reuse. Again, just seems like overkill to save maybe a dollar.

What is your experience with using less than a full load for these smaller cooks?

I've cut in half with no problems, or one side almost full and the other definitely about half.

I am about to do some beef back ribs (4 racks). I plan to use about 1/2 of a basket.

Comment

Half is fine but you may need to take out rebar near the end. I used Pit Boss's method for reverse sear, I was able to get 8 coals to bring the temp up to 250 and keep it there for about an hour.
      Last edited by _John_; September 15, 2014, 05:43 PM. Reason: Proper credit

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        Half is fine but you may need to take out rebar near the end. I used, I think it was Huskee's method for reverse sear, I was able to get 8 coals to bring the temp up to 250 and keep it there for about an hour.

You mean this one?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          your links stinks

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Missing a : after your http but YES

Jerod, how bout this one? I admit I could have edited my previous post but this is a shameless attempt to get closer to 1,000 posts.

Comment

So is this..... (lol)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here