Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Therm recommended for the PBC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Therm recommended for the PBC ?

I just signed up here and bought a PBC through Amazon. I've been a long time lurker on the main pages and couldn't wait!

I was just curious, what kind of thermostat would work best? I'm thinking I want one with a cord so I could monitor the temp from outside without opening the PBC top?

I'm a smoking noob, but have been cooking my whole life. I promise to start posting pics of my experiments and bbq adventures!

any help is appreciated.

thanks!

You mean like the Maverick ET-732?

Comment

Cant beat this baby on any type cooker IMHO. I even use to in the oven, well not in the oven, well you know:

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...732-redi-check
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 11, 2014, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Sfbay welcome to The Pit! I wholeheartedly agree with the advice from Jerod and Jon. At $60 the maverick an excellent device, wireless, alarms, simple to use (setting up alarms can be tricky) and a great service oriented company. My advice- order the 6' extension probes, the hybrid ones, and store the 3' stock ones in the drawer as backups. You won't be sorry! I run two of these, and another member here has 5!

Comment

I just did an eBay search for the ET732, and to my surprise there are some good deals on them there too, often with free shipping and some free extras. For instance, one listing right here comes with 4 free steak knives. Granted if they're free they're undoubtedly cheapies, but hey free extras are free extras. Who couldn't use another few knives in the drawer as backups? Another listing comes with a free set of bear paws for pulling pork. AmazingRibs only gets a thank you if you use our link and buy through Amazon but if you can get some free extras for the same price and still get free shipping, why not right?

Ha. I just picked myself up a third Maverick, with 4 free Miracle Blade steak knives. Now I can't afford steak to use the knives on...
          Last edited by Huskee; September 11, 2014, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Thumbs up on the Maverick! I see one on eBay comes with Meathead's temperature guide.

Comment

awesome. thanks guys!

Comment

You're welcome. That's what great about The Pit here- so many great members willing top help their best advice. You're going to really like this place.

Now let's help you fill out that signature, check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel on the main page of The Pit, and the tips posts within that channel. They will also help you learn the best way to post some nice big pictures of your cooks here for everyone. Brag a little, it's encouraged here.

When you get more time, head over to the Introduce Yourself channel and tell us something about yourself, like what you like to cook and what grill/smoker you're using. Enjoy!

Comment

PBC cooking is great, enjoy the great BBQ. I use a Mav. 733. not much difference in the 732 to the 733, price

Comment

If you get the 732 or 733, I recommend getting the longer probes. Their 6' long and about $30 for the pair.

Comment

• JPP
                      JPP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely right.... I wrecked my three foot meat probe and bought the six footers. No regrets there! MUCH easier to deal with!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here