Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loin Chops thick cut on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loin Chops thick cut on the PBC

dry salt brine for 16 hours, marinade Memphis dust for 4 hours, cooked on PBC with lump charcoal-kingsford blue mix. Held the PBC at 250 for the cook. internal temps of 140-150 over a 70 minute cook. I tried real maple syrup as the stick agent before the Memphis dust rub went on. WOW was the comment from everyone, that really boosted the flavor all the way around.

Looks good, might have to try that maple syrup idea myself.

Comment

Great idea charchamp, might just do the same on my next pork chop cook.

Sicne I have your attention, let's get to work on posting some larger pics. To see an easy step-by-step way to post 'em BIG, check out this writeup here. Thanks!

Comment

Huskee the "Mc Rib" made the picture sizing post worth the read, I will work on enlarging the photos.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol, thanks I was wondering if anyone would appreciate the subject matter there!

Did you hang those or cooked on the grate?
        This is the second time that I've heard about maple syrup "rub glue" It doesn't over caramelize and burn?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Maple syrup really shouldn't caramelize until temps of near 320 or so, since it's mostly sucrose, or complex sugars. Fructose, or natural & fruit sugars like honey, may caramelize closer to smoking temps of 230. So when smoking your best bet is to use maple syrup, or table sugar in rubs, and stay away from honey. Then just don't let your PBC get above 320ish. The trick if you want a good brown up on pork chops done low & slow is to use a coating of honey

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Huskee!

Ernest I cooked them flat on the grate, the maple syrup is really not as strong a flavor as one might think. I actually thought the flavor would be stronger. It gave the meat another flavor dimension.

Huskee has the food science angle taken care of for us.

Comment

Credit to Meathead. I admit it, I didn't invent or discover what I know about it.
          Last edited by Huskee; September 10, 2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Looks great. We raised hogs, so BBQ'd pork was a main staple growing up.

I cooked some country style ribs with the dust, then caramelized a little BBQ sauce before serving. I took mine on up close to 200. Definitely need to do that again. I had to make 2 levels of grates on the PBC. "Ribs" got crowded.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here