Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 briskets in the PBC....Pit temp and time log. Done with pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for this, my first brisket on the PBC was good but not great, this should help. Those burnt ends look so good! I skimmed through again but never saw anything on rub, what do you throw on these things?

Comment

I toss some Big Bad Beef Rub on right before going in the Pit. I use 1 tablespoon white pepper, instead of the black, and a little cumin.

Comment

Where do you buy your B&B charcoal?
        I tried Stubb's lump charcoal in the PBC and it was a disaster. I love Ozark Oak lump but it's expensive so I only use it for chicken.

Comment

Academy has the briquettes....everyone else just has the lump. I never ran any lump in my PBC.

Brookshire Bro's grocery store chain has the briquettes also, but in much smaller bags than Academy, and for a little more/pound than Academy.

Brook's is just around the corner....Academy is 1+ hours away, so I just get some if I am in that town for work.

Comment

Awesome write up!

Comment

Wow. Now I am even more intimidated by brisket. I know. I need to man up andjust get it done. Nice work my friend.

Comment

smh you are so much vetter on the PBC than I am, 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Comment

You da man Jerod!

Comment

I have done 2 successful brisket cooks on my PBC.
                    Using KBB ,the fire gets snuffed by the ash after about 7 hrs. and I have to refuel.
                    Have you ever had that issue

Comment

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      By the time the fire starts having issues my bark is set. I'll pull and put in foil pan, a little beef broth, cover with foil and finish in oven.

Jeff, appreciate the writeup and pics - that was a lot of work. Never seen so many briskets on a PBC. All looks delicious.

Just noticed you posted this back in 2014..... a belated Kudos!
                    Last edited by TripleB; May 27, 2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      5 is the most you want if you have the right briskets for max capacity. 4 big and one small.

Thank you for this post.

What is the max length if you are looking to stack multiple briskets on the grate later in the cook? About how long is the middle rebar?

Also, is there a post with information about setting up the second grate?
                    Last edited by gpalton; June 5, 2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Editing a comment
                      I used a Weber charcoal grate for the extra grate. Not sure on the measurements.

Was there a mount or did you place it on top of the bottom briskets?

If you keep the briskets 18" or less, does it shrink enough to fit on top grate? Thanks!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Editing a comment
                      Just laid the grate on the bottom briskets. I think I tried to raise it up some but the problem with that is once you lay the top briskets you can't close the lid.

I'm pretty sure 18" or less hung for 5-6 hours will have shrunk enough.

Nice cook. Question: why did you choose to cut the point and not the flat to make it fit? I have cut the flat in a cook in the past. I've also hung most of mine from the flat. Looks like it would be better to hang from the point so the fats run down. I don't do much brisket (about 2 a year) since there are only 3 of us and we have an ever increasing favorites list going plus some of our old standards.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Editing a comment
                      Much rather hang a chunk of point. On other cooks I've cooked the flats in other smokers and just hung points in the barrel until they were done.

Makes for a long day,.... smoking large quantities of brisket, resting/cambro-ing, then vacuum sealing so many bags. I tend to get a little cranky, myself, after staying after it for so long to get everything in the freezer. Nice work.

What sort of grinder are you using for the "chop". Even with a perfectly cooked brisket, chopped/pulled is my preferred serving. Hadn't considered a grinder...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Editing a comment
                      1/2 horsepower I got from Cabela's. I think the plate has 3/8" holes. I prefer to chop the lean stuff (if I have time) and run all fat and point through the grinder.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here