Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I try large rib eye steaks on the PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I try large rib eye steaks on the PBC?

I have 6 large rib eye steaks from Sam's Club to either cook or freeze. Don't ask. Suffice to say that ribeye plans fell through--houseguests preferred to eat PBC brisket leftovers. Go figure.

I hate to re-freeze meat (I assume that Sams receives the meat already frozen) so I'd love to cook 'em all up and add the uneaten ones to a Boeuf Bourginon recipe for tomorrow. (Just cooking for two now).

So there are two options: use the smoker box on my Summit and reverse sear or hang the steaks in the PBC (or put them on the grate) and then reverse sear on the Summit. The Summit is easier to set up and clean, of course, but getting a good smoke taste is a bit iffy. I'm thinking that I'd get a more smoky taste with the PBC.

Any expert tips, one way vs. the other?

Kathryn

Try reverse searing using the PBC for the low and slow and your Summit for the sear. Check out this post.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Link doesn't work PB, show us that meat!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      the URL is missing the : after the http at the beginning. Type the : and it goes to the post.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops. I tweaked it. Hopefully it works now. Thanks for the heads up.

Dave absolutely nailed a low PBC cook for steaks....if that is the post he linked above.

It won't load.

He piled about 12 briquettes in the middle of the basket to get a 190-200 pit temp, then took them up to about 115-120(guessing) internal, then reverse seared.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 1, 2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Agreed Jerod. Perhaps THE best, bar none, steak I have ever seen. I think Meathead will have to include that shot in his forthcoming book.

Comment

Y'all are being too kind. That said, thank you Sirs!

Comment

Thank you so much, Dave. Those photos are awesome. I'm definitely going to give the Parrish Steak Method a try!

Kathryn

Comment

I may have to experiment with hanging a rib eye in the PBC.
            It may not get that crust but I bet I could get that edge to edge pink.
            I'm not talking reverse sear, just straight PBCing.

Comment

• Timkatt
              Timkatt commented
              Editing a comment
              The crust is the best part though.

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, you're correct on the crust. Especially when it has a bunch of coarse black pepper.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here