Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large PB on the PBC, following a rib cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBCJim
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, Bruce. I did ribs yesterday and they were a tad overdone after 3 hours so am surprised yours weren't carbon blocks after 5 hours. My pit temps cruising in the 250 - 268 range. I'm struggling a bit with the predictability of the cook times. Last time I did ribs, they were perfect after about 3.5 hours total time. There were a few differences in rubs and my initial theory is the first time I left the racks whole, this time I cut them in half. Think I've got the intake set right finally, that's the good news. BTW, congrats on the cook, just wanted to throw out there the contrast in cooks.

• BruceB
    replied
    All together, a very successful weekend of cooking. Shopping and made three sauces on Saturday, cooking ribs on Sunday, and the PB on Monday. I think I have a LOT better handle on the PBC quirks now.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice. In five weeks since getting the PBC I've done more real BBQ than my previous attempts combined. Previously, it was lots of grilling on a gasser, and electric cold smoking.

Next adventure - brisket. A flat awaits....

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Glad to hear it went so well, I see the flag now but didn't see it before, kept missing the update and it got buried.

Nevermind, that flag is to mark as spam...

Leave a comment:

• BruceB
    replied
    It turned out great !! It took a little over an hour to get up to just over 200F on the grate. I had cracked the cover to get the barrel to about 340F. The internal temp wasn't going up much at all, sitting in mid 170s, and just as I was about to shift it to the oven, I tried some other probe locations and they were all just over 200, right at the magic 202 and 203F, confirmed with the Thermopop. Into a pan still wrapped, and off to the kid's house.

We pulled it after about an hour of resting, it came apart so easily, and was delicious!

Last edited by BruceB; September 2, 2014, 07:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    So how did it turn out, Bruce? I'm eager to hear the rest of the story.

Kathryn

• BruceB
    commented on 's reply
    Got it wrapped and onto the grate by 2:30. It was about 167F internal.

I put the lid on, and left one rod out to get the cooker back up to temp. It was starting to worry me, no movement at all on the meat temp, but just now it started ticking upward. Cooker at about 272F. Just waiting now...

• BruceB
    replied
    2 PM about 6:45 into the cook, it's sitting at 170F. I'm going to wrap it now. PBC is down to 233F.

Leave a comment:

• BruceB
    commented on 's reply
    Hi fzxdoc

I ended up leaving the PB whole, almost 11 lbs.

The temp started climbing again shortly after my last post, so at 325F I foiled two rebar ends, and the temp dropped to just over 250F. In the spirit of experimenting, I took the foil off and the PBC has stabilized at 268F, perfect!.

Two hours later, still holding at around 270F, and the meat temp just hit 120F. Lots more smoke from the rebar holes, the first hour there was almost no smoke.

So, 3 hours in things are moving along nicely. Onward to the stall.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Keep the updates coming, Bruce. Thanks for them. I'm going to be making a PB next weekend, so it's good and timely info. Did you leave that bone-in PB whole at 10lb or did you end up splitting it?

Kathryn

• BruceB
    replied
    Ok, Part 2 in progress. The big Lump O' PB went on a 7:30. Starting temps 255F in the barrel, and 38F in the meat.

going to crank up the barrel to 320F + and see where it settles.

edit: 25 minutes after closing the cover, the temp is stuck at 312F. I'm going with this for a while.
    Last edited by BruceB; September 1, 2014, 09:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BruceB
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
    W/o pics we'll have to take your word for it Bruce! Glad everything worked out, sounds like your weekend is off to a killer start!
    There is one complete un-ravaged rack left wrapped in the fridge, I'll have to get a day-old pic

Best compliment is everyone eating and lovin' it.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    W/o pics we'll have to take your word for it Bruce! Glad everything worked out, sounds like your weekend is off to a killer start!

Leave a comment:

• BruceB
    replied
    Well, the rib cook went great. Probably the best ribs I've done so far it the PBC. Good bark, lots of moisture even after 5 hours, and done just as they are supposed to be, not falling off the bone but come off easy with a bite. I didn't get pictures of the finished racks, the guests were tasting them before I got the hooks out! I had two sauces on the side, the KC Classic and the Tennessee Hollerin' Whiskey, both made up yesterday. People couldn't decide which they liked best.

The PB is dri-brined and resting in the refrigerator, it will go on in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• BruceB
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    Did you get it on in time?
    The PB goes in tomorrow morning, I just finished prepping the rib racks for today. They go in the PBC in about 4 hours.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Did you get it on in time?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here