Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large PB on the PBC, following a rib cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BruceB
    replied
    Thanks, everyone. I'm going to go with the start over in the morning plan, and probably separate the butt. Seems safer all around.

Leave a comment:

• Belco54
    replied
    I had a very similar cook about a month ago. I had a nine pounder that finished in just under 6 hours. I placed it in a 170 degree oven while the baby backs cooked. I added a chimney of lit coals for the rib cook and three hours later we were eating. The pulled pork was very juicy after resting for three hours.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Putting it on at night just leaves too much to chance and keeps you up all night, plus it will be done way early.

I would start it in the morning, I wrap at some point every cook, mostly for moisture. I can finish just about anything in 8 hours or less. I did a 13 pounder that took 10, but I was in no hurry so I didn't wrap it until late. I now use Jerod's method which is to wrap when the bark is how I like it. I would personally start early and crack the lid to keep as close to 300 as possible until you get some good crust. Now this is just from personal experience, and every butt is different but if you aren't through the stall and at 170 about 4 hours from dinner then wrap that sucker up, you should be able to get from the 160's to 200 in 2 hours leaving plenty of time to rest.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    You need to dump the ash if using Kingsford. Too much ash production.

You might also consider separating that butt. I have done 11.5 pounders, I do 5-6 pounders now to get a higher bark:meat ratio.

Leave a comment:

• SurfsUp
    replied
    Man I am not experienced with a cook like that but that is pushing it from my perspective... I might cut that big boy in half and start it early Monday morn on a fresh PBC load... more bark

Leave a comment:

• BruceB
    started a topic Large PB on the PBC, following a rib cook

Large PB on the PBC, following a rib cook

Hi all

I have a large bone-in pork butt to go into the PBC sometime late Sunday night, since I don't think I'll have time to start it Monday AM to take away as a big pan of pulled pork by late afternoon.

We'll be doing 5 racks of ribs Sunday afternoon, with a mealtime of 6 PM, so when this monster 11 lb pork butt goes on maybe by 9PM, the coals will have been going for close to 8 hours. Should I just top up the basket with freshly lit briquets, or do I need to go through pulling the basket out, and dumping the ash, which could be dicey with a hot PBC? Maybe some unlit briquets topped with lit ones from a chimney?

I'm expecting the PB to take 12 to 15 hours, is that reasonable?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here