Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gasket advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket advice

I have seen a few older posts on this topic but nothing too recent so I thought I would ask: For those that applied a gasket to the top of their cooker, did it seem to make a difference in keeping temps more consistent? Obviously there are a few factors that come into play with consistent temp, but was just wondering in general.

Any preference in gasket brand/style that people have used?

My temps evened out after I installed a gasket. I would get temps up to 325+ before I put one on. They then evened out to a range of 250-275.I cooked that way for a few years. I now use the DigiQ fan system from BBQ Guru. I set the temp and let the fan do it's thing.

Comment

Any self-adhesive gasket should work. Clean well for optimum adhesion. I typically used acetone after I've scraped any solid material off to make sure the surface is ready.

Comment

• tmaan235
        tmaan235 commented
        Editing a comment
        As an add on maybe dip a 3m pad in acetone and scrub?
        Super Duper adhesion I would think.

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        Wear nitrile gloves when working with acetone, please. An N95 mask wouldn’t hurt either if you have poor ventilation.

I used the Lava Loc gasket from Amazon. For sure it made a difference, especially in the initial stages of getting the PBC to settle in to a good solid temperature. As with all things, it wears out with time. I need to replace mine again because I see a couple of small lid leaks.

I do most of my PBC cooks now with ATC using the Pit Viper fan with the Fireboard controller so lid leaks are not as big a concern. But for using the PBC old school, a gasket is a big help.

Kathryn

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, lavaloc

I used the Lava Loc gasket as well. Also on my Weber kettle.

Comment

Appreciate the responses. Looks like I'm going to have to check out a fan system in the future. Happy cooking!

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Happy cooking backatcha!

K.

So these Barrels are not set them and forget them?

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          More like set and keep an occasional eye on. As you've found out, the well-lit PBC can run pretty steadily all by itself for several hours with virtually no monitoring. For me, the challenge comes in when I have it fully loaded, as in 3 chickens (6 halves) and two hanging racks of sausages. And a bunch of company coming for dinner. That's when I pull out the ATC.

Kathryn

fzxdoc I order a slightly different version of the gasket from the same manufacturer. Its length is 15 ft. I do believe I'll be able and do the PBJ and Kettle. I realize don't have leaking either and the PBJ settles in with little effort. If I'm not using the rebars, I use the magnetics to regulate temperature. I also don't have an issue with the Kettle. I figure it's not going to hurt to install.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
          I used the Lava Loc gasket from Amazon. For sure it made a difference, especially in the initial stages of getting the PBC to settle in to a good solid temperature. As with all things, it wears out with time. I need to replace mine again because I see a couple of small lid leaks.

I do most of my PBC cooks now with ATC using the Pit Viper fan with the Fireboard controller so lid leaks are not as big a concern. But for using the PBC old school, a gasket is a big help.

Kathryn
          Kathryn - I have a Fireboard that I use for temp monitoring but I would be interested in using it as a fan controller too. Can you provide a photo(s) of how you hooked the Pit Viper Fan to your PBC? I have a PB Jr. but I'm guessing the fan would work on it too.

Comment

• Soonerpop
            Soonerpop commented
            Editing a comment
            So, BoomerSooner where are you in Dallas? Where you from? OU grad?

BoomerSooner , I have the earlier version of the Fireboard which uses a drive cable to power the Pit Viper. You may have a later version of the Fireboard.

For info on attaching the Pit Viper 10CFM fan to the PBC opening, look at the topics I listed below.

You'll need an XL Dome adapter, which you get (with instructions for the PBC install) from BBQGuru.com. That's where you get the Pit Viper too. I installed the adapter on the inside of the PBC vent opening, but as you can see from some of the topics, some people attach it to the outside. I wedged the lower edges into the barrel seam and only used one screw at the top to hold the adapter in place. That way I can remove it easily if I want to use the PBC old school, with no ATC. At least that was the plan. Now I just leave the adapter in place without the fan if I want to use the PBC without ATC. I'm at an altitude where it works just fine with the adapter in place.

Adapter put on inside of the PBC Vent Opening:
          It's been a while since I posted anything, but figured this one was worth posting as it took me a while to do the research and implement. I'll start by saying that

Adapter put on outside of the PBC Vent Opening:
          I went ahead and added a pit viper fan to use with my new Fireboard V2 Drive on the PBC. Did a test run last Sunday. This thing is about to be renamed "Precision Barrel Cooker". First - You need the XL dome adapter. You have to bend the metal a little bit to fit the barrel shape. You have to decide where you want to

Wanted to share approach adding pitviper to PBC, had done some reading from older posts and wanted to attempt to mod PBC slightly with a pit viper fan and attachment for the fireboard

Hope this helps.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
            BoomerSooner , I have the earlier version of the Fireboard which uses a drive cable to power the Pit Viper. You may have a later version of the Fireboard.

For info on attaching the Pit Viper 10CFM fan to the PBC opening, look at the topics I listed below.

You'll need an XL Dome adapter, which you get (with instructions for the PBC install) from BBQGuru.com. That's where you get the Pit Viper too. I installed the adapter on the inside of the PBC vent opening, but as you can see from some of the topics, some people attach it to the outside. I wedged the lower edges into the barrel seam and only used one screw at the top to hold the adapter in place. That way I can remove it easily if I want to use the PBC old school, with no ATC. At least that was the plan. Now I just leave the adapter in place without the fan if I want to use the PBC without ATC. I'm at an altitude where it works just fine with the adapter in place.

Adapter put on inside of the PBC Vent Opening:
            It's been a while since I posted anything, but figured this one was worth posting as it took me a while to do the research and implement. I'll start by saying that

Adapter put on outside of the PBC Vent Opening:
            I went ahead and added a pit viper fan to use with my new Fireboard V2 Drive on the PBC. Did a test run last Sunday. This thing is about to be renamed "Precision Barrel Cooker". First - You need the XL dome adapter. You have to bend the metal a little bit to fit the barrel shape. You have to decide where you want to

Wanted to share approach adding pitviper to PBC, had done some reading from older posts and wanted to attempt to mod PBC slightly with a pit viper fan and attachment for the fireboard

Hope this helps.

Kathryn
            Thanks for all the info. I have the same original model of the Fireboard that you have - the Extreme BBQ Edition. It's worked great since I bought it in 2019 but after reading your post I've decided to go with an ATC system. Now I just need to buy the cable for it so it will work with a fan. I believe that I will also need to download the Drive software on my Fireboard and perhaps update it the OS.

I contacted the folks at BBQ Guru about ordering a Pit Viper fan (I think that you said the smaller 10 CFM fan will work great instead of going with the larger model that you purchased) along with the XL Dome Adapter. They replied back that they no longer carry that adapter or anything like it. When asked what adapter would work with a PBC they said they don't have one at this time but are trying to work on a solution. Hopefully, they will come up with something soon or perhaps there is another supplier/manufacturer that makes one that will work on a PBC. Again, thanks for your help with this.

Comment

Thanks for the additional information, BoomerSooner . Too bad about BBQ Guru no longer carrying the XL Dome adapter to use with the PBC for the Automatic Temperature Control setup. Hopefully they'll have a solution soon.

About the Pit Viper fan, when I bought mine, they sold them in a size Medium and a Large, based on CFM of course. I bought the Medium. Not sure how that compares to what they are selling now, but they recommend the 10CFM model for most cookers.

I bought the Drive cable a year or so after I had purchased the Extreme BBQ Package from Fireboard not long after it first came out.​ I had no problems with using it the first time. The software was already Drive-ready, so I just connected it up and fired it up.

Let us know what type of adapter you end up with. I wonder if Fireboard can help you with their fan and some sort of compatible adapter for the PBC. Just a thought.

Kathryn

Comment

Soonerpop - I thought that I had responded to this but I see that I didn't - sorry! Anyway, yes I'm an OU grad - lived in Edmond but am now in the Kaufman County area.
                  • Soonerpop

Soonerpop commented
                    July 31, 2023, 03:41 PM
                  • So, BoomerSooner where are you in Dallas? Where you from? OU grad?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here