Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Boston Butt on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Boston Butt on the PBC

Ok, Butt brined. Check.
    Mephis Dust applied. Check.
    PBC started. Check.
    Maverick 732 synced. Check.
    Applewood chunks. Check.
    PBC hangers placed in meat. Check (sorta. Wondering if I should have gone further down in the meat.)
    One pig cooking. 7:30am EST

You got an early start! I'm tackling one of those today... this may be a personal question but how big is your butt

Comment

Just under 7lbs trimmed.

Comment

Just through a 9 pounder on here, if you don't plan on wrapping I would try putting a grate underneath or move to the great later, as you get closer to 200 you really risk a fall, even with good placement.

Comment

Well, my temps starting moving towards 300*F. Went to take a look and the Butt had almost split in two. Pulled everything out and placed the grate in and reset the rebar and the Butt. Covered each side of a single rebar with foil to help bring the temp back down. This is at the 2.5 hour mark. Meat temp is 169*F.

Comment

• SurfsUp
            SurfsUp commented
            Editing a comment
            I tied my last butt as I thought it may pull apart... I'm going to tie this one as well.

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            That went fast! I have found that for me the most reliable method to get tenderness is resting for 2+ hours. Also, some have mentioned their stall happening at higher temps, so you still may get one.

Do you guys bring the butt to room temp first or put on cold?

Comment

I put em on cold.

Comment

Cold! Here's an article on that from Meathead http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...room_temp.html

Comment

Cold it is! Thanks guys.

Comment

Mine went on cold. It was 45*F when I placed the temp probe after the initial hanging.

Temps are back down to 266.

Comment

Bigger butts will pull apart. Smaller 5-6 pounders I can get away without tying. You still have to be careful if you cook through the stall. Lot easier just to tie since I can slip the hook under one string.

People freak out when they eat my PBC'd butts.
                    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 30, 2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

My butt is smokin now... and a chicken. I have to cook a chicken cause they come out so good with ribs or a butt cooking at the same time!

Comment

• Papa Bob
                        Papa Bob commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I like thrown a bone in when I'm doing a butt, but will only do a butt tomorrow
                        7 lb.er salted, rubbed, tied, wrapped yesterday will inject with the broth from Posole that I made Thursday. Making Creamy Cole Slaw today and the Pistachio Gelato (base made yesterday) tomorrow will bake the sandwich rolls for pulled pork sammies, also today will grill the skirt steak that is in the fridge that I salted and oiled and then peppered, added gran onion, gran garlic wrapped in plastic to let spices rehydrate just laid out on rack to dry for a extremely hot sear for some good eatin fajitas tonight, with black beans that I made with the Posole. a glass or two of red wine from the Livermore valley, yes I said Livermore. My wife Henry and Maisey ad I and the pool 95 degrees yes life is good in the central valley Cool

• SurfsUp
                        SurfsUp commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Man you are throwing it down Bobby Flay style out there!

Well, that's weird. The PBC was sitting very steady between 250-260 then all of a sudden dropped to to 225. By the time I reached the cooker it had dropped all the way to 198. I cracked the lid, removed all the foil around the rebar and the temp started climbing again.

My meat temp hit 181 for almost 2 hours then dropped to 175.

PBC temp is now at 275 with the lid closed. No foil. Meat temp is 174.

The photo is what the meat looks like 5 hours in. There was a pool of liquid in the valley between the two hangars. I dripped that into the coals after the temps stabilized.

Everything looks like it's back on course. PBC is now 279 and the meat is 176.

Comment

• SurfsUp
                        SurfsUp commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That thing is looking good regardless of the temperatures hopping around a bit.

My temps have settled between 250 and 260. I haven't touched a thing since I closed the lid 2 hours ago. Bout to take the chicken off though. Also need to put temp probe in the butt.

Comment

Looks like I'm in the home stretch now. 199*f. It's moved pretty fast over the last 12*. Any suggestions as to resting? I noticed John said about 2 hours to increase the tenderness. Is this wrapped? In the oven to retain heat? Failing any suggestions, I plan to wrap in foil and let it set on the counter for 2 hours. We aren't in a hurry to eat...I think. 8-)

Comment

• SurfsUp
                          SurfsUp commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Per Meathed... If you are more than 2 hours from mealtime, wrap it in foil to keep it from drying out and hold it at 170°F (in an oven)

• atlpbc
                          atlpbc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks SurfsUp! Into the oven it goes. Hope yours turns out as well as this one.

• SurfsUp
                          SurfsUp commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks! I've been stalling with a 173 internal and 285 PBC temp coming up on 7 hours. I've only cooked 1 butt on the PBC previously and I wrapped at 160. This one I am not wrapping so I am a little nervous

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here