Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood chunks in PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood chunks in PBC?

Anyone throwing wood chunks in their PBC for additional smoke? If so than What? When? How much? And for how long? Thanks for your comments and input

Depends on the meat:
    A few chunks of Apple or Cherry and Hickory for pork, just after putting on the meat and about an hour later.
    A few Apple chunks or sometimes Cherry when I first start chicken.
    Hickory or Oak for Beef, when it goes on and after 45 minutes and 1:15 or so, I like mesquite but the wife doesn't.

These chunks are maybe 3" in diameter and 2" thick. Also, no idea why I capitalized the way I did...

Comment

Capitalization for Emphasis. Wood types need to stand out

Comment

The last time I cooked which was two days ago, (new smoker needs to be used a lot) I threw on 4 pieces of Apple 3" x 2" and part of one survived to the end of a 8 hour cook. I guess it would depend on how much smoke flavor and how hot your fire is. I really like smoke flavor so I want it through out the cook.

Comment

I rarely do. It seems the BBQ flavor I get from the drippings kinda out does any smoke flavor.....that I can taste.

Comment

I've used small chunks of apple for a few cooks now... I'm not exactly sure if there is a big difference although I believe there could be depending on what you are cooking. For instance my first chicken cook was done while cooking ribs, no wood. The chicken was awesome. Subsequently I cooked the chicken without anything else in the cooker and while it was still delicious it was not as good as the chicken cooked with the ribs. I've also cooked a chicken with a pork butt that was maybe the best I ever cooked. Now I've had a couple of chicken-only cooks with no pork products and some small chunks of apple wood and these seem tastier to me than chicken-only no-wood but it could be my imagination. Maybe it is just me but pork dripping on the coals and smoking makes a damn fine chicken

Comment

Like Jerod says the PBC's main attribute is the no-need-for-wood to make smoke since the drippings fall directly on the heat, which is atypical of most indirect smokers. I don't own one (yet) <---- how do you like THAT, JB?----- but I knwo this to be true. I think if I had one it'd still get a load of good ol' tree meat, that's just how I roll.

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                You NEED to join the PBC club!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe I can win one! [sad face] nope can't...

Charcoal by itself gives a lot of smoke flavor. This is a result of the drippings from the meat hitting the hot coals and providing what we like to call "burnt offerings" smoke. I have found, though, that adding a few wood chunks does help add additional smoke flavor. It's critical to use chunks and not chips. Just throw them on top of the hot charcoal right before you add the meat and close the lid. If your family likes a strong smoke flavor you won't be disappointed.

Comment

I was raised on BBQ. Not smoked meats. I did smoke on my offset with great results using red oak and cherry and mesquite. However, nothing to match the product the PBC has turned out. People absolutely flip out over the BBQ flavor.

Comment

This is a huge revelation! So more stuff you put in to the PBC i.e meat with drippings the better the flavour of everything in it?! Assuming its not overloaded of course.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No such thing as overloaded, unless you can't close the lid.

• Ricky Good Times
                    Ricky Good Times commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree no such thing as overload. I've done 12 racks with great results.

I can only imagine what Jerod's Q tastes like with the PBC loaded with brisket and PB!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know. I get super hungry every time he posts about another mega cook. I'm thinking about moving to Texas and joining his church. Like tomorrow if not sooner.

I tried wood chunks but I prefer no wood. I might use a single cherry chunk just for color.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeh, I think I use cherry just to smell it. I could eat that smoke....

We absolutely love the "wood" smoke flavor in our bbq. I have been using chips that I had left over. You guys are showing me I need to do a couple of experiments. 1) with real wood chunks 2) with chicken and pork cooked together and 3) with wood, chicken and pork.

Hmmm...

I hope the family is hungry!

Comment

Im gonna try 1 brisket and 1 PB tomorrow! With oak chunks. Any advice on how much? 6oz?

Comment

• David S
                    David S commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I shoot for making sure there's smoke for the first 4 hours or so. Usually means adding wood chunks a couple of times. After 4 hours the meat takes less smoke, so I worry less about keeping the wood chunks going.

I use more than 6, though this is probably too late now. You can certainly taste the wood, especially on longer cooks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here