Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Cook Times: Including PBC temps and Meat/Veggie Weights (if possible)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG Thank YOU. This is probably one of the most valuable posts in this entire forum. You're wonderful!

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, goodness, thank you so much. I'm happy to help.

Kathryn

just finished a 5lb trimmed brisket (probably a flat), prime, using BBBR (Big Bad Beef Rub?). Got to 153 very quickly (probably an hour+), which concerned me, but think the probe was too close to the meat surface. Pulled for wrap at 4.5, added some beef broth, and put it in for another 1.5 hours to 205. Put the brisket in a faux-Cambro for 3.5 hours and it was amazing. The BBBR was a little peppery.
    Last edited by racertrader; September 6, 2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, racertrader . If you don't mind, I'll add your results to the list. Is that OK?

Any idea of the PBC's average cooking temp?

Kathryn

absolutely fine with me...the average temps were initially 290-310, and stayed there for an hour or so. I started blocking the rebar holes to bring it to 235-255 for the remainder of the cook. I'm finding the cooker temps from the PBC site seem high to me.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      PBC like to run in the 270s after it settles down from the start. Brisket, butt, chuckie they don't care. Chicken likes it even higher! PBC, PBJ, PBC!

2.34lb tri-tip, average 275 degrees to 133 internal temp., approx. 1 hour 10 minutes. Not very happy with the way it turned out; somewhat chewier than I expected (this is my first Tri-tip).

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you sear it at all after you took it out of the PBC, racertrader? And may I put this information in the first post of this topic?

Kathryn

• racertrader
      racertrader commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Kathyrn...I did not sear the tri-tip, and you certainly add the information. thank you.

smoked a single turkey breast on the rack (not hanging) using an apple cider brine (10 hours). PBC temp ranged from 290-320 as I was basting every 20 minutes with butter. Total cook time 1 hour, 40 minutes to internal 160; pulled, rested 10 minutes to 165 internal. Very good, moist and tasty. Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey PBC 2020.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	945774

Comment

Thank you for this post I’m new to the club and new to the pit barrel. I have three Cooks on it so far snd love it. I am curious how this was done “. Hanging on a turkey hangar snd only using one rebar? Would the hangar be attached to one rebar by using two hooks to attach the crossbar?
      • 4 lb whole chicken (not split), hung on turkey hanger, one rebar placed diagonally so 2 holes were open the whole time to keep the PBC's temps between 285 and 325°F. 2 hours to internal temp in brease of 165°F.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the turkey hanger without the cross piece. The hole on the end of the hanger will slide onto the rebar.

I have YET to do a briskie on my PBC (or ever for that matter) and this post really gives me confidence on what to do. I've watched video after video, read article after article on how to properly trim and cook a brisket but there's nothing like hands on experience. I'm just too afraid to screw up a $60 piece of meat lol.

Anyway, thank you so much for the invaluable information! This is a good confidence boost as well a irreplaceable resource!

Comment

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        Go for it with the brisket. With Costco prime it is hard to mess up, but even on some grass-fed brisket I've done that turned out dry, it still tastes pretty darn good and you can use the leftovers in Meathead's Texas Red chili - it is so good!

Thanks so much, jitsntricks !

I remember back in the day being antsy about doing anything other than ribs and chicken on my PBC when I was first getting started with it. With a hungry family to feed and side dishes to time to the last minute, I couldn't afford to have a loosey-goosey ETA for the meat in the PBC. I needed to nail the times down a little more tightly.

That's when I started recording cook times that other members posted (along with a lot of other tips, plus my own experiences) into a Microsoft Word document that ended up being a PBC Bible for me for a year or two until I had pretty much worked my way through most of the cooks I had wanted to try. That document is long out of date and should be revised, but it was a real help to me in the beginning.

So anyway, that's where this list came from, excerpted from my own personal PBC BBQ Bible. I keep adding to the list here in this topic as necessary, so it stays pretty current.

Kathryn

Comment

• jitsntricks
        jitsntricks commented
        Editing a comment
        Well I want to thank you for your efforts!

I've come across this list before back in August before I decided to pull the trigger on a paid membership and it was helpful then. So thanks!

In preparation for Memorial Day, I want to smoke a pork butt on the PBC. However, I get to my store a little late today and all they have are boneless pork butts wrapped in mesh. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I could always hook and hang, or just smoke it on the grill rack. Thoughts? Regardless, I plan on cooking until internal is 160ish, then wrapping until 205 internal. Appreciate the input. Thanks

Comment

You could use kitchen twine to tie the butt up (if the mesh won't withstand the PBC's temps) and hang it, but if it happens to be in pieces it might be best to just smoke it on the grate. Even with bone-in pork butts, I move them to the grate at 160° internal because they begin to really soften up at temps above that and I don't want risk the butt hitting the fire. I don't usually wrap butts, but if I do, I wait until about 180°internal so they have a nice pig-candy type of bark.

Enjoy your cook!

Kathryn

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

I have smoked both bone in and bone out. I always use the grate for these. I might turn it over around hour 4. In addition, your plan is good. It will be better if you implement Kathryn's suggestion.

Comment

thank you for the tips...curious about the mesh. I'll have to check it out to see what it's made of.

Comment

If you have the skewer attachement, I use that all the time with pork butt. If it is boneless I tie it up with twine, helps minimize burnt edges.

Comment

so I chickened out and bought another butt, bone in this time (freezing the others for later. I'll have to work up (mentally) to the boneless on the PBC). However, I have had a problem right off the bat. This is not my first butt, but how the F do you keep the piece of meat from sliding off the Fing hooks while you're hanging it Great way to start the day.

Comment

So how did the pork butt turn out, racertrader ?

Kathryn

Comment

• Soonerpop
                Soonerpop commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, we’re on the edge of our seats waiting for results. I’m sure it’s good. Plus, you got another in the freezer to do later—on the grate!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here