Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light my (PBC) fire: tips on lighting and maintaining temperatures

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duanessmokedmeats
    commented on 's reply
    My PBX runs between 280 and 300, for the first few hours, but settles into the 270 range.
    I fill the basket , for the amount and time I need, and put 30 in the chimney. I do the 15-10-10 method.
    I just did a turkey (13.5lbs), with 70 briquettes in the basket and 40 in the chimney (I knew I wanted to go hotter). 15-10-10 method. Only one rebar diagonally. It ran at @360 the whole cook. Took one half to reach 160 IT in the breast at 1 hour and 35 minutes.
    The second half took 2 hours.

• N227GB
    commented on 's reply
    If it's any help, the lighting procedure worked well with my PBCjr.

• yakima
    commented on 's reply
    Where did the PBX that Spinaker reviewed go?

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    I only have used the PBC.
    Maybe we barrel head’s need to get together and buy fzxdoc a PBX so she can run it through it’s paces and give us the scoop!

• x56351
    replied
    Has anyone noticed a difference in lighting/cooking on the PBX vs PBC? Do you find that the PBX burns hotter and how do you alter your lighting/cooking methods compared to the great recommendations on this forum for the PBC?

Leave a comment:

• 2-7
    commented on 's reply
    Took your advice to make sure it was well lit before adding meat, worked out great! Thanks again!

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    NIce job!

• Alan Brice
    replied
    Very Nice! Looks My-T- Fine from where I am sitting!

Leave a comment:

• 2-7
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_102557.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1476700 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_131543(1).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1476699
    Originally posted by Alan Brice View Post
    Pics or it never happened! ; - ))
    It happened! ;-))
    Thanks to all for the help.
    Now if I could only learn how to take a decent pic...

Leave a comment:

• Alan Brice
    replied
    Pics or it never happened! ; - ))

Leave a comment:

• Alan Brice
    commented on 's reply
    +3 after all Kathryn is the PBC Queen!

• 2-7
    replied
    Thanks for the tip/feedback. That's how I will probably do it to make sure I have a good startup. I never had any issues before, but the size of these briquets threw me off a bit, count-wise.
    Thanks again to all, and that's what makes this forum so grate! (lol)

Leave a comment:

• Finster
    commented on 's reply
    +2

• RichieB
    commented on 's reply
    +1

• fzxdoc
    replied
    2-7 , In my experience with B&B briquettes in my PBC, they are slow to light. So be sure they are well-lit in the chimney (white ash shows on the topmost coals) before dumping them on the unlit coals. At my altitude, it takes over half an hour in the chimney (even with using 2 Weber cubes for starters) for B&B coals to be well-lit enough before pouring into the partially-filled basket.

To speed things up, I usually use Kingsford Original (KBB) in the chimney and B&B briquettes in the basket.

HTH,
    Kathryn

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here