Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal basket maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal basket maintenance

Anyone do anything special to try to extend the life of their charcoal basket?
    the current state of mine below after Sunday's cook
    Starting to look a little rusty in spots
    I know it won't last forever, but I'd like to delay the inevitable for as long as I can...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220628_202833.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1244157

I just give it a brush off once in a while.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Let the meat juices put a protective coating on it!

Nope. Iron + Fire + Humidity = Rust. Spraying it with cooking oil might prolong its life a bit, but most of that would just burn off on the first cook. Over the life of the basket you’d probably spend more on cooking oil than you would on just letting nature take its course and replacing it when it rusts out. I lightly wire brush mine after each cook, just out of respect. Other than that I just revel in its well-used glory. Think of it as a work of art.

Comment

Try keeping one from rusting out in Florida.

Comment

Just brush it off with a wire brush. That is just surface rust, so no big deal.

Comment

I've learned not to leave it on the wok burner for too long once they coals are lit.
          Lasts a lot longer
          Last edited by Stuey1515; June 29, 2022, 12:54 AM.

Comment

I have read, although I do not really know, that the burned charcoal dust and ash that we all sometimes leave in the cooker until next cook works negatively on the iron. Since I read that, I usually clean mine out after the coals are cold.

Comment

• Thomassen
              Thomassen commented
              Editing a comment
              I've noticed that my coal basket has started to flake pieces of rust off it. Just a little charcoal dust and ash will absorb any moisture in the air and help develop rust.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here