Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First TriTip on the Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First TriTip on the Pit Barrel Cooker

The short version: Wow! The Pit Barrel Cooker is simply amazing. Get one.

The long version: This was our first tritip using the PBC. We have done a whole chicken, chicken thighs, St Louis spare ribs and salmon. Now the tritip. This is one of our most favorite cuts because we get the Angus at the local farmers market at a really good deal, usually $7/lb trimmed. As creating a baseline of experience, I simply followed the video instructions from the PBC site and used their rub. I also added a ton of hickory chips thinking this would be a really short smoke and I wanted as much smoke flavor as possible. I also used my new Maverick ET-732 for the first time. I sure am glad, too.

I finished the trimming and added the rub just before cooking. I lit the charcoal using lighter fluid (really don't have an issue with it). Waited exactly 15 minutes. I am in Atlanta and that seemed appropriated. Placed the rebar and my probes. Hung the meat and covered it up. You can tell from the photos the smoke was pouring out of the cooker.

At this point, I was expecting it to be ready in 35 minutes. At 35 minutes, it was not done. Thanks to the probes I knew I needed more time without needing to lift the lid and check the temp. The exact cook time was 52 minutes to 135 degrees. PBC temperature was slow to come up probably due to the added hickory chips. Final BBQ temperature at time of extraction was 270.

The supermodel absolutely loved it. She does want a little more wood smoke flavor. I think next time I will detune the cooker and lower the temps so the tritip cooks slower and absorbs more smoke.

We are really enjoying this new cooker. Love the wood/charcoal infused flavor and the extremely easy to use system.

The PBC can do magic! That Sir is a nice looking Tri Tip.

Comment

Beeeeuutiful tritip! Don't know how the quality of the meat will compare to your "Angus," but here in Salt Lake City, a CASE of tritips at Costco is a little more than $5/lb. (Savings of more than $2/lb. compared to buying each one separately at Costco.) Also, from what I read on this site, NOT letting the meat come to room temp (i.e., smoking while cool---from the fridge) allows the smoke to adhere better. I, too, have a PBC and absolutely love it. (Just ordered one as a gift for my son---can't stand the thought of him not enjoying BBQ smoky goodness!)

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Wanna buy a case for me and ship it to PA :-)

You should try the reverse sear technique for a tri tip some time. Have done it several times and the results are tasty

Comment

We did the reverse sear on ours in May. Pretty tasty piece of meat.

Comment

That really looks great. I did my first tri tip on my pbc last week. Great flavor but I yanked it at 125 and it was pretty chewy. Next time I'll opt for more doneness and hopefully a more tender steak at 135

Comment

Nice job. I am shopping for tri tip online and will also search out local source. I think the 135F was perfect from your pictures. Did you consider letting it rest wrapped in foil then wrapped in a towel then put in a cooler for 30-45 minutes? Just asking as many of the tri tip websites I have looked into suggest this treatment when cooking low and slow. If you choose to rest it next time, probably 130F internal temp would be better than 135F. Obviously the Santa Barbara style of BBQ grill is not set up for low slow cooking and I doubt they rest their traditional tri tip preparations.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              We typically don't advocate resting short-cooked tender meats (rare-medium) as these are best served hot off the grill. Where resting, or more properly "holding", is best is for brisket and pork butts, etc, taken well above well done and cambroed.

I reverse-seared the two tri-tips I made on my PBC a while back. They were amazing. Tender, juicy--nothing not to like.

Kathryn

Comment

Has anyone tired tri tip with the lid off to perhaps get a better crust. When I do it covered I don't get a deep dark crust like I do when I cook it on the grill.

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I did try lid off just this past Saturday, didn't go as well. Still need a grill for the crust.

But it was tasty. This was my first tri tip ever.

Last edited by Ernest; September 15, 2014, 07:54 AM.

I've got to stop reading this forum before suppertime. I start salivating and want to fire up my PBC rather than cook the "normal" meal I've got planned. PBC's sure make suppertime special.

That tri-tip sandwich looks good enough to eat, Ernest. It's a thing of beauty.

Now back to the kitchen and the Hungarian goulash with spaetzle that's on tonight's docket. Sigh.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, cdd, I think it might be hard to keep those wiggly spaetzle on the grate. I'm getting to the point that I need to use the PBC once a week to be a happy cook. Dunno if that's good or bad.

Kathryn

• Ray
                Ray commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree! These beautiful photos are killin' me! Does reverse searing yield a good crust or just grill marks.

Ray

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                @Ray,

Reverse searing is meant to avoid grill marks and instead get a good crust over the whole surface. Grill marks look beautiful, but as Meathead points out the brown is flavor, why not have the crust over the whole surface...

Argh! You PBC/UDS folks are making me want one. You know, right next to the Weber Kettle, IR gaser, BGE, smokey joe...

atlpbc - looks great!

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                A man can never have enough toys!

We just completed our fist cook on the PBC. We hung chicken per Noah's suggestion, and hung two tritips an hour into the cook. One with Noah's rub, and one following our hero's (MH) suggestion. All were wonderful with a slight edge to MH's method. Sorry, no pics, but get the PBC. It is amazing.

Comment

Congrats, Neal, on your successful first cook on the PBC. It's the first of many, to be sure.

It's hard to get pics when the food disappears so fast after you take it out of the PBC. Ask me how I know.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here