Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char Broil Chimney PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char Broil Chimney PBC

Anybody use the Char Broil wide diameter chimney in the PBC? Is it a better fit than the Weber as far as dumping the lit coals in the basket? Or should I just get the actual PBC chimney?

A full size chimney is a PITA in the PBC. A half size chimney is what you need.

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. I tried the half size Weber one and it seemed to start up slower so I tossed it when I left AZ. Gonna try this Char Broil half-time

i use the charbroil halftime chimney starter. it is perfect for the PBC. Amazon.com : Char-Broil Half-Time Charcoal Starter : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect that the exact one I’m looking at, just forgot to post the link. Glad to hear it works well

I have the PBC chimney. I find a short chimney essential to dump coals in the barrel. You can pick any short chimney you like, the Char Broil one would work. I don't' know if all the cutouts will result in it deteriorating faster. But it will probably last at least 5 years.

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m trying to use my PBC more instead of buying more cookers and I think part of the reason why I haven’t used it much is how much of a PITA dumping coals in it from the full size chimney is. My poor deck

mine is a weber compact.
    i think it was $20 at Ace.
    the full size one was doable, but now that I pour all the lit coals in the very center, i needed the compact..
    it holds about 40 Cowboy briquettes Click image for larger version

Name:	20220607_152938.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1233189

Comment

Just another option here for $23. This is from Walmart. OKJ makes a shorter chimney also. It’s stainless steel and says it’ll hold 100 briquettes. I need to get one of these also for the Bronco. A full size chimney is a pain.

Oklahoma Joe's Halftime XL Charcoal Starter

Click image for larger version  Name:	9A9A9C0E-8725-40B3-8A03-D1754A03C41F.png Views:	0 Size:	4.15 MB ID:	1233192
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 7, 2022, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        At 10" in diameter and just over 7.5" tall it does fit okay, but it drops a wider fall of hot coals at a 14" max target.............plan on a stray or two or............

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        Uncle Bob thanks for pointing that out. Definitely want the most maneuverability possible

I find a large bottle of lighter fluid eliminates this problem.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 Just used lighter fluid last weekend in the Bronco. Works great for a quick cook and you want to start with all hot coals.

With the PBJ my 1st cook I used the Weber full size and that was the last time. Ordered the Pit Barrel while the chicken was hangin' in the PBJ. Works great.

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        You wised up quicker than me. I’ve been trying to hit the target with a full size chimney since 2018

I have a OKJ Bronco and found that a full size chimney was a total PITA to dump. Decided to give the Char-Griller bottom dump a try and so far pretty happy with it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZR17U5U...t_details&th=1

Comment

I do. I like it better than PBC's own chimney.

Comment

OKJ makes a gas starter too, anyone have it?

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t have a gas starter of any type. I don’t think I’d like standing around for a minute or 2 waiting for the coals to light. I’d rather light a tumbleweed and go.
          Last edited by Panhead John; June 7, 2022, 03:12 PM.

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John -- so you just use the Tumbleweeds in your OKJ, no chimney or anything else? Or you use them in a chimney?

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Both! If I’m doing low and slow, I’ll put 1 or 2 tumbleweeds in a full basket of coals in the Bronco coal pan….or the SNS insert if smoking on the kettle. When I want a chimney of hot coals, I’ll place just one tumbleweed under the chimney. Works great. Murdy BTW, you don’t place the tumbleweed in the chimney with the coals, place the tumbleweed on cooking or charcoal grate, light it, then place chimney on top.
          Last edited by Panhead John; June 7, 2022, 03:36 PM.

I light my charcoal and dump into the basket outside my PBC. Push them into position and put basket into the barrel with a rake.

Comment

I use the PBC chimney and it really helps. The full sized chimney is way to hard to manage and I end up not getting the charcoal where I want.

Comment

I used to use a PBC chimney but it took forever to get the coals fully lit. Switched to the smaller Weber chimney and it works great.

Comment

I did a side by side comparison of the Char Broil Half Time chimney and the Weber Compact chimney back in 2016:

Last week, I asked, on this topic (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/accessorize-your-pit/212264-char-broil-half-time-charcoal-starter-chimney) , whether

Long story short, I prefer the Char Broil Half time because it saves time.

Some people complained that the Char Broil chimney rusts out quickly, but I’m still using mine. It has some rust but is still going strong.

Kathryn

Comment

• jhapka
                jhapka commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the link I thought I remembered this thread but couldn’t find it with the search feature. Seeing the price of both of them in 2016 ticked me off a little but great information

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here