Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Gravy on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Gravy on the PBC

So one of the things I loved about last years turkey was the gravy. I did not have my PBC last year and I was trying to figure out how to make it work for this year. Here is my idea of how I could capture the drippings. Will probably add wood due to not having the drippings hit the coals. I think this may work for some PBC searing also! Some details:

The grate sits 3-inches from the top rim of the coal basket and 1.5-inches from the coal basket handle. This is easily adjustable higher by shortening the chain links. No need to cut, just wrap them over the "pegs" that hold the normal grate.

The grate is 12-inches from the pegs/top grate and 18-inches from the bottom of the rebar holes. This brings the question of, will I have enough room to hang a bird (have to remember the height of the pan), or will I have to use the top grate? I'm OK with not hanging and spatchcocking a bird to lay on the top grate (downside, limited to one bird). In fact now that I type this I realize I may not want the gravy pan sitting at its lowest "setting" so hanging the bird may be out.

Feedback welcome...

Cheers,
    Daniel

Uh, that does not look like a PCB by brand, but a Barrel cooker? My PBC does not have chains or the brackets the chains hang from.

Comment

JohnF it is a PBC, the chains were added by me so I could drop a grate down close to the coal basket. The tabs the chains hang off of are the welded tabs the normal PBC grate sits on. This is my way of using two grates, one low for the gravy, and one high (in the normal PBC spot) to put the spatchcocked turkey on. The thickness of the chain does not mess with the top/normal grate and it sits on the tabs fine. Nothing is permanent, the chains just fit over the welded tabs and I used s-hooks to grab the grate.

I should note, this is an original PBC barrel. They may be using pegs/dowels now with the porcelain barrel instead of the welded tabs, but the mod should still work.
      Last edited by dpsphotos; November 14, 2015, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• JohnF
        JohnF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the explanation.

YUUUUUUUP!! That is classic Pit tinkering my friend. Great call. Let us know how it works. dpsphotos

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here