Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken legs are on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220507_162242004.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1217693

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Minimal rub on the chicken legs. My granddaughters are not into my fire and brimstone cooking. My daughter in the other hand puts red pepper on everything.

• Alan Brice
      Alan Brice commented
      Editing a comment
      I have toyed with wine corks wrapped in foil, tucked into the open rebar holes, to temp back the heat n trap more smoke. Just did a brisky. Something I have become comfortable with. Tonight I am doing my first pork shoulder on the weber 22 pizza/rotisserie accy. Kinda nervous.
      Here are some brisky pics.

Name:	8FA151CD-6EB5-4A4A-A923-8F1B15B46E3C.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	1217727 Click image for larger version  Name:	512099EF-AD5D-4A33-BB17-8D14CEEDDC3A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.08 MB ID:	1217724 Click image for larger version  Name:	0E64D8A9-C1C7-4CBF-A8B6-4FADC95BB3B4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.41 MB ID:	1217726 Brisky pics on the PBC. Click image for larger version  Name:	3E4144E7-29A2-47D3-BCDD-0A3C51456716.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.27 MB ID:	1217725
    Last edited by Alan Brice; May 7, 2022, 11:57 AM. Reason: Had some coals left so I did a quick savory pecan.

Comment

• Alan Brice
      Alan Brice commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes PJ. The rebar holes allow venting. Nothing in the lid. Alan

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Most of us have gotten rather adept and creative about when and how to plug the holes, and how many holes to plug.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      As I understand it, the vent at the bottom is pretty much set and forget according to altitude, although you can do some adjusting. I ran all the rebar holes open today, because as first cook I'm looking for a baseline to work from. You can also crack the lid for a higher temp. I did that for about 10 minutes to see if the skin on the legs would crisp a little.

Chicken legs and pork loin with cowboy beans, corn and garden salad. Kid approved.

Name:	PXL_20220507_172354917.MP.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1217735 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220507_172610202.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1217736 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220507_173252478.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	1217737

Comment

• Soonerpop
      Soonerpop commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks excellent! Congrats on the purchase and first cook.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Cowboy beans! :-)

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum!

Congrats on a great first cook on your PBC. The temps must have been pretty high with the rebars out, since my PBC usually runs 250-275ish with rebars in. Those high temps were perfect for the chicken legs, obviously, since they look amazing.

Nice job!

Kathryn

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Temps worked out good, everything was done about the time I was hoping for. Getting 2 different meats done at the same time in the same cooker is always a challenge, especially on the first cook. I lost some smoke flavor by not having the rebar in, so if tomorrow is a nicer day than today we'll try some beef with the rebar.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't be hesitant to add a chunk of wood to the PBC fire. I use wood every time I fire it up, and the family enjoys the flavor it produces. That said, some folks here (who are used to the lighter smoke profile of a pellet cooker or stick burner) say the PBC smoke profile is too pronounced, so let your taste buds be your guide when it comes to adding wood. You'll get a nice smoke profile with charcoal alone.

K.
      Last edited by fzxdoc; May 9, 2022, 05:40 AM.

Dinner yesterday must not have been too bad, my wife has already given me instructions to buy a second PBC to be taken to our lake home. I think she's finally accepted the fact that this hobby is not going away. Besides, she's got a new rug she has her eye on for that house.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Well done Bogy! You’ve got her trained well. It’s just like I mention in my new book, "Tell Your Wife What You’re Gonna Do And Don’t Take No Lip". It should be a NY Times Best Seller…..

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Thanks for once again explaining why you aren't married.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      😂 I’ll be doing a book signing in Des Moines in June. If you like, I’ll be happy to sign a copy for you.

What a great first cook!! And you are winning with the directive to immediately buy another for you summer cabin. Way to go

Comment

The only thing better than one PBC is two PBCs.

K.

Comment

Contest day today in the big city of Klemme, Iowa. Wings and pork loin. Seven competitors in wings, eight in loin. Cookers ranged from a guy their with a huge trailer, big offset stick burner, another with 2 Green Mountains, 3 with Tragers, my PBC and one with a little charcoal grill. There were five judges, 4 local volunteers, and one actual, certified, pork judge.

I used the dropdown grate so I could put the wings on one side, and hung the loin on the other.

I did not place in wings. My wife gladly ate some of my rejects.

I took third place in loin. When the judging had been completed, a woman came and sat next to us, in the shade of our canopy. When my name was called, and I went up to get my prize, she told my wife my entry was the most luscious, juicy of all the entries. My wife told her I had done a few things today I had never tried before, and she said I had made good calls on what to do different. What did I do different? I dry brined and coated with sesame oil and MMD the night before. Pretty standard. But I also injected with apple juice the night before. Only the second time I have injected. I pulled the pieces of loin at 145 IT, and then wrapped them and put them in a cooler to rest for about 1.5 and 1 hours. I started one a half hour after the first. When it was time to decide which one to slice, the one that had been in the faux cambro a half hour longer probed significantly easier. Went in like proverbial butter.

My wife has tasted a lot of my cooks, and many pork loins I have cooked. She thought it had to be one of the best if not the best I have ever done.

I'm happy. I went into not expecting to win anything. (low expectations, makes it a nice surprise if you do good.) Considering the guys who beat me in loin had obviously done this before, I feel pretty good. Made my money back +$10 from the entry fees. And I did it with the PBC. BTW, I had several people who stopped to ask me about the PBC. They had never seen anything like it, and thought it looked great. One was the guy who was cooking on a borrowed charcoal grill, who wants one.
        And the PBC fits perfectly into the back of my Ford Flex.

Reject wings I didn't turn in. Tasted great to my wife and me.

Name:	PXL_20220618_190443736.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	1238939

My pork loin entry box. My wife kept stealing pieces I trimmed off that I meant for me.

Name:	PXL_20220618_195859206.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1238938

Me, with my plaque for third place. I really am happy! Sun was bright, I was tired, and BTW, I'm in the process of passing a kidney stone.

Name:	received_1752577228424283.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1238937

Thanks to everyone who helped me over the years. Helping me to decide to buy the PBC, and lots of other help over the years.

Comment

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks fzxdoc. I have an appointment with a urologist tomorrow morning at 9, but if I start feeling pain before that I am to go straight to the bigger hospital in Mason City instead of the smaller hospital I went to Friday.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Wishing you well, Bogy. You must be a wreck, wondering when/if that terrible pain will return. Hopefully the urologist will get the ball rolling for you and you'll be better in no time.

Kathryn

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          I did pretty good until last night, which was not near as bad as Thursday night. Kept alternating the oxys, not over the allowed rate, but a lot more that at any other time. Hopefully the urologist will take care of it.

Fantastic! Great story. Even the kidney stone, all things must pass. 🙃

Comment

A WSM? 😜

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that you mention it, somebody had pictures up of the wings they had done with a vortex. Sorry, I can't remember who right now, but they looked great. Might need 2 different cookers next year, if they have the same meats.

BTW, tomorrow for Father's Day, ribs on the PBC.

Comment

Bogy I gave myself a medium sized vortex to cook chicken with last Christmas. I finally got around to cooking about 18-20 wings or so a couple of weeks ago on the performer. My wife has never liked my wings because they looked white and the skin was not crisp. This time I had to fight for my share! They looked very much like fried chicken. Nice and brown and crispy and still juice enough. Next time I am going to venture into other chicken parts such as legs, breasts etc. I also learned to cook more wings in future cooks! You will definitely enjoy it!

Comment

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the endorsement. Wife is now insisting I need a Weber Performer Premium with a vortex. I live a really tough life.

How did I miss this!?! You, our favorite pastor in da Pit!

PBC,PBC,PBC!
            Last edited by HawkerXP; June 22, 2022, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't get my new hearing aids till Monday. Can you repeat that a little louder? BTW, did you see I came in third with the PBC last Saturday?

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I did!

Not sure how that link got there but we barrelheads are super proud of you in everything you do!

Someday I'll be brave enough to try a competition.

I'll adjust the volume a little for you.

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP When I first saw the contest I thought, yeah, that'll be fun. As it got closer I thought, what kind of a crazy idea is this? On Friday I thought, kidney stone, perfect excuse to drop out. Saturday I sat there thinking, this is crazy, you aren't going to win anything. Now, of course, I'm really glad I did it n

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here