Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad charcoal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Parrish
    replied
    I doubt the charcoal is the issue, but let's think through it. Does it look normal? Has it been exposed to any weather extremes like rain or higher than normal humidity? Is it old? Anything about this bag that's different from bags you usually use?

Now on to the PBC. Have you moved it to a different spot that might be getting different wind characteristics? How much cooler is it? Has your vent been adjusted? Have you made any changes in your setup?

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    replied
    Sounds like an air circulation issue.
    1. Try opening the bottom vent more to get more air in during the cooler weather.

2. Raise your charcoal basket a little.

Are you using any type of ash tray under the basket?

Leave a comment:

• NashvilleSparty
    commented on 's reply
    It's the charcoal closest to the vent that seems to be burning up more quickly. Also the charcoal furthest from the vent hasn't seemed to be catching/burning through properly. I'm just confused because this is a recent problem that has occurred my last 3 cooks.

• jgg85234
    replied
    Is all of the charcoal burning up more quickly? Or, is it only the fact that you're getting to lower cooking temps more quickly?

I would bet the weather conditions are having a lot of effect.

If you are losing the temp, but the charcoal is still there, I'd try starting with a few more coals. If the coals are disappearing more quickly, then you need to start with a few more lit coals, and more unlit coals.

Even though it's never *cold* in Phoenix, I still go through more charcoal in the cooler winter months than I do in the summertime.

I've burned a lot of bags of KBB in the last 30 years, and I don't remember ever getting a bag that burned differently.

Best regards,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Nope that's exactly what I was asking. Sorry if I missed that in your post.

I can't help much with a PBC, I'm sure the Pit Barrel folks will be able to shed some light on this.

Ernest , _John_ , fzxdoc , David Parrish and all the rest of the PBC team.....

Leave a comment:

• NashvilleSparty
    replied
    Using the pit barrel cooker. Is that what you were asking or did I totally misinterpret your question?

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Hey pball,

I do tend to burn an extreme amount of KBB and have never seen a bad bag but since I buy in bulk I'm sure they all come from the same lot. So it could be but it sound odd.

What are you cooking in?

Leave a comment:

• NashvilleSparty
    started a topic Bad charcoal?

Bad charcoal?

I'm using kingsford original and I light according to the instructions. 40 in chimney for 10 mins, dump those in the basket and let burn with lid off for 10 mins, then add wood chunks and lid and let go for another 10 minutes. This is the same approach that I had been using with excellent results. I'm about 800 ft above sea level and my vent is open a little more than a quarter of the way based on previous advice. Cooks were going fine previously and then I started having issues with this new bag of charcoal. The problem is that the charcoal closest to the vent is burning through pretty quickly and the charcoal furthest from the vent doesn't seem to be burning well at all. My last cook I dumped as much of the lit charcoal as I could on the side furthest forum the vent. my temps were down in the 230 range after only 3 hours. Typical I can maintain 270-290 for at least 6 hours. It has been a bit more windy than in the summer and outside temps have been cooler (I'm in michigan). Other than taking out the food and rotating the basket, what are some thoughts to fix the issue? Could it just be that I got a bad bag of charcoal? Thanks in advance!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here